Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #11 
bugmn

double post sorry

Last edited by bugmn; 09-22-2012 at 05:25 PM.
bugmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #12 
bugmn

First of all, thanks for quick reply !
O.K. my friend bought me this fish (with jar) to my birthday so that the reason why I used the first option.
I have some question:
1.In first option : Why do I need to change the water?
2.In second option: Big bucket?How many?
3.Cheaper water conditioner: Do you have any examples?
Old 09-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #13 
bahamut285

You need to change the water because fish excrete a toxic substance called "ammonia" into the water. It comes out of their gills, their skin, rotting food, and fish poo. In small bowls like yours it builds up very fast and will poison and eventually kill them. The bigger the bowl, the less times you have to change the water. Changing a little bit of water will not work because it builds up much too fast, so 100% water change is necessary if you do not have a filter.

As for the bucket, it doesn't have to be big and just one bucket is fine. It should be big enough for you to change all of the water in his bowl. Just fill it up the day before you change the water.

For the water conditioner, a lot of people use SeaChem Prime: http://www.thereefshoppe.ca/images/prime.jpg or the TopFin brand: http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/produ...64t300x300.jpg

Having a bowl is fine for him but it is a lot more work than having a tank with a filter, it is also a lot safer for your fish in case you are busy one day and cannot change the water. This is my recommendation but of course it is your fish and you can do what you want with him :)
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #14 
bugmn

thanks it so helpful.
O.K. more one question:
my friend told me to put kitchen salt in the aquarium.what do you think about it?
Old 09-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #15 
bahamut285

You're welcome, I'm glad I could help :)

Do not put kitchen salt in the aquarium. Kitchen salt contains iodine that is also harmful to your fish.

You can purchase special Aquarium Salt: http://www.angelfishaquatics.co.uk/e...3-oz-420-p.jpg

But you should only use it if your fish has a bad external disease like ich (white spots everywhere) or bad fin rot. If you put it in all of the time, you can damage your fish's organs :(
Old 09-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #16 
bugmn

O.K. thanks !
and what do you think?can I mate my betta with female betta fish in this jar?or not?
Old 09-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #17 
bahamut285

No, breeding is a lot more complicated than putting a male and female fish together. IF you would like more information on breeding I suggest you ask questions in the breeding section of this website.

However I personally believe you should try to get your current fish to a healthy and happy state and cover basic care before you do so. Breeding requires a lot of money and commitment.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #18 
bugmn

ok thank you !
I try to do my best !
Old 09-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #19 
bahamut285

You're welcome, I wish you luck and I hope he feels better :)