Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #1 
labloverl

1.5 gallon quarantine tank

I plan on getting a new fish soon to add to my divided 5 gallon, and I'm wondering on how to quarantine the new one. I have a tank similar to this. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-2-...-Pets/14660256 I'm currently using it as a hospital tank to treat a fish with internal parasites with epsom salt.

How would I set it up as a quarantine tank. Should I put gravel and the undergravel filter/air tube in? How often would I change the water? How long should I quarantine the new guy?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #2 
Mahachai

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
I plan on getting a new fish soon to add to my divided 5 gallon, and I'm wondering on how to quarantine the new one. I have a tank similar to this. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-2-...-Pets/14660256 I'm currently using it as a hospital tank to treat a fish with internal parasites with epsom salt.

How would I set it up as a quarantine tank. Should I put gravel and the undergravel filter/air tube in? How often would I change the water? How long should I quarantine the new guy?
Interesting, why do you need to quarantine a new fish? I don't know, but I usually just add in the betta once the water in his bag is about the same temperature as the tank and he is calm. I've done this in a divided tank before.

Last edited by Mahachai; 09-22-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Mahachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #3 
labloverl

Well.... I have done the same thing... actually 2-3 times before. But I figured that since I had the hospital tank out already, that I might as well not test my luck and quarantine the new fish before adding it to the divided tank. :)
Old 09-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

You shouldn't really add gravel or anything else except a hiding place and heater. That way, you can clearly see his poo or anything in there. If the new Betta is sick, then you would need to do 100% changes daily. But if he's not, then 1 100% and 1 50% change per week is fine. :)
Mahachai- Quarantining is the best way to avoid disease if the newcomer has any. Just to make sure that Betta #1 gets no disease from Betta #2.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #5 
labloverl

I was thinking that more frequent water changes would be needed for such a small tank??

Oh, and how long should I quarantine the new guy?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Yes but OFL proved that 1 100 and 50 changes per week keeps ammonia low. But it's better to do more water changes, though. IME, you should be QTing him for around 3 weeks or more.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #7 
sunlight

It always important to quarantine the fish and the new love plant.
Live plant can carry disease. For example parasites and they will die if you guarantee then in the water for about 2 weeks with NO water conditioner. Plants like sword and java will survive , wisteria can die. Not sure about fungus and other bacteria though. But i know a lot of people on the forum recommend it.

About fish always quarantine new fish . You never know if it can be sick and you will end up with more sick fish and disinfection ...i always quarantine new fish.

Also i think nothing wrong to do more water changes. I had fish on my table which i bought for someone for i would think more then 3 weeks. And i was doing daily water changes and he was perfectly fine.

I do only 100% water changes and for 1 gall that i have at work for long time (about 2 years) i do 100% water changes every 3-4 days.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote