Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #21 
Aus

Quote:
Love humanity and nature. Respect humanity and nature. Without those there is nothing else.
^+1

I would maybe add, "Oh yeah, and PLEASE quit breeding like guppies, okay? Cause there's too many people right now. Our tank has reached its bioload."

Or "Save a whale. Wear a condom."
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #22 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
^+1

I would maybe add, "Oh yeah, and PLEASE quit breeding like guppies, okay? Cause there's too many people right now. Our tank has reached its bioload."

Or "Save a whale. Wear a condom."

One of the reasons i want but wont make any children.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #23 
Aus

Eh, having kids is okay. One or two. If every family limited its kid population to equal to or less than its adult quotient, we'd level out and reduce population growth by a heap in two generations.

Moderation in all things, including this = happy planet, healthy humans.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #24 
redchigh

Actually, thats not what I meant... Google "Technological Singularity". I think its much more likely. Moore's Law has been accurate so far.

As for the children conversation, fthe earth is doomed regardless...Either we all keep breeding, or the most educated and intelligent stop breeding, which thins the genetic pool for the future.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by redchigh; 10-03-2012 at 01:17 PM.
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #25 
SnowySurface

Actually, I've never seen the problem as too many kids.

Even if all the people around the world agreed to only have 1 or 2 kids per family, if those kids use 5x more resources then they need to survive we are still screwed. Now, that's not to say we all need to have 1 kid like China and then live simply like the Amish or die. But I don't see the point of having one kid and then supplying that kid with enough resources to sustain 3 kids. You might as well of had 3 kids and then give those 3 kids the same amount of resources you gave to the one child.

I'll use myself as an example. I have always liked video games. I had a Nintendo until Sega Gensis came out which was replaced by Sega Saturn until Nintendo 64 was all the rage which I proptly replaced with Play Station 2 because I just had to play Kingdom Hearts. Add Play Station 3 to the list, since it conviently doubles as a blue ray player, and I have enough video game systems for myself and 5 3rd world children.

However, I also liked playing video games during long car rides. So I also had a game gear until I replaced that with game boy color until game boy advanced came out which was cool until game boy DS knocked them all out of the park. So far I've fought the urge to buy game boy DS 3D, but I still have enough hand held games for another 4 3rd world country children.

In short, my parents having me and only me as a child is pointless if they buy enough toys for 9 children to keep me occupied. That's the problem. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:41 AM   #26 
redchigh

If you were to give your equipment away when you are done (rather than trash them), then the problem fixes itself...Although I sort of see your point, it's tricky to use video games as a analogy...Food, electricity, sure.. Thoss could be linked to real earth resources, but... If lots of people didn't buy every game when it came out, then engineers, programmers, salespeople at gamestop, etc would be unemployed..
Posted via Mobile Device
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #27 
SnowySurface

Video games just happens to be one of my few vices and the only thing I could think of at the time to make a visual image of my point. XD I may be sentimentally attached to my old consoles to the point that my original Nintendo is in my closet in its original box. And other people do sell them back to the store or buy them used in the first place to get some cash or save money. Unfortunately, that is not the norm.

Most people who want the newest and greatest thing see what's "out of style" as useless. Useless things usually end up in landfills since most people don't see how their "Trash" could be someone else's Christmas present. That's why old games are collectible now. The owners tossed out there copies so only a few aren't being pecked at by seagulls.

There are video game stores that buy back used consoles and games for so little and re-sell so close to wholesale that most gamers don't see the point. Either the gamer doesn't get enough for the used game or console to be worth the gas it takes to get to the store or the used game or console is so close to retail value that you might as well just buy new.

Then there is the third scenerio when the price is reasonable because the game is damaged or the console is on it's last leg. I kid you not when I say I saw a controller for PS2 that was only $5 cheaper than new and it was missing the start button. As long as sell back/buy used options are that poor, no one is going to use them. So a lot of obsolete gaming systems and games do end up in a landfill because the fix for the problem is broken. :(

I actually think there would be even more old technology in landfills if it wasn't for sites like eBay and Amazon that let people sell their used items on their own terms.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #28 
babystarz

I would like to mention that there's a very effective way to reduce populations. Education for women. Countries where women who are able to finish high school and have the option to go to college naturally reach a fertility level that either just barely replaces the current population or shrinks it.

I think the biggest threat to human survival in the coming decades will be access to water.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #29 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Especially when rising sea-levels begin to salinize and saturate the coastal groundwaters all over the world.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #30 
Pilot00

Speaking from a pure technological stand point the remedy for this is easy. I think the Republic of Cyprus already provides water though purification of sea water. Just saying.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote