Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

Sorry missed it XD
but hey it's a gallon!
no miniature 1 pint betta bowls, that's a good start!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #12 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Sorry missed it XD
but hey it's a gallon!
no miniature 1 pint betta bowls, that's a good start!
This is very true.
Obviously the OP should consider an upgrade in the future at some point for many reasons.....extra needed swimming space for this active species, less/easier maintenance, better temperature stability......but I think a heater, thermometer, and a couple decorations are a little more important as far as an immediate investment goes. So long as the water changes are kept up with and the tank is properly heated, a 1 gallon can be just fine for a few months even.....and its certainly much better then those little cups, or the tiny little half-gallon 'tanks' they sell for bettas.

Also, I'd just like to add that Kritter/Pet Keepers actually do make excellent cheaper little tanks if you don't have the funds for a larger kit/tank and all the fixings at the moment. The Medium size holds about 2-ish gallons and I believe the Large size holds 3-5 gallons. Just another option. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Good point
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #14 
bettabayley

Ok! Felt bad for the little dude, so I got one of the tanks reccomended on here. I have it all set up, filter running, etc. Unfortunately, I took the advice to get some Prime. But I didn't have a dropper. I kind of just tried to...dribble. It felt like I put way too much in. It was certainly not a capful! I repeated the process with INTO the cap over my bathroom sink, and I THINK I put half of a cap thread. Which would be ok for five gallons, right? And I started the filter on. And I'm freaking out about this. Right now I have Henry in a bag that is inside the water (not zipped up! Air can get in. And I treated the water in this with one of the beta tabs. Half of one, actually). The filter's on, the heater's on, etc. Thermometer says its about 80. But am I gonna kill him if I put him in there?

Ugh. I'm stressing out so badly.
bettabayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #15 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettabayley View Post
Ok! Felt bad for the little dude, so I got one of the tanks reccomended on here. I have it all set up, filter running, etc. Unfortunately, I took the advice to get some Prime. But I didn't have a dropper. I kind of just tried to...dribble. It felt like I put way too much in. It was certainly not a capful! I repeated the process with INTO the cap over my bathroom sink, and I THINK I put half of a cap thread. Which would be ok for five gallons, right? And I started the filter on. And I'm freaking out about this. Right now I have Henry in a bag that is inside the water (not zipped up! Air can get in. And I treated the water in this with one of the beta tabs. Half of one, actually). The filter's on, the heater's on, etc. Thermometer says its about 80. But am I gonna kill him if I put him in there?

Ugh. I'm stressing out so badly.
You can relax, Prime is pretty harmless and adding a bit too much isn't going to cause problems :) You should be fine to add Henry.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #16 
LebronTheBetta

OK, just calm down. You're never going to make it better by panicking so stay calm. :)

Prime is usually 2 drops per gallon and it's super concentrated. When you 'dribbled' how many drops was it? Prime is a water conditioner and you won't need to add those tabs anymore.

Do you know how to acclimate? You just let his bag float on the surface and make sure he still has air and doesn't have any contact with the tank water. You leave him there for around an hour or so and then you get him out of the tank and pour out 1/2 the water from his bag into the drain. And then, you gently get some tank water and put it into the bag with him in it. A very small amount! And then repeat until the bag is full. Then, you gently let him into the tank and done. :) Good Luck, he's not going to die. Don't worry.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #17 
laynisample

Make sure to add a little bit of the new tank qater to his bag to get him acclimated as you move him. Do that at least twice as you float him.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #18 
DragonFish

Congratulations on the upgrade!

I'll be honest....I don't use a dropper for my conditioner, lol. The tiny bottle of Prime with the little dropper is a tad bit easier to use, which was why I gave it to my friend when I gave her a setup for a rescue she took in....which left me with just the normal large bottle of Prime. What I do is pour a little into the cap, then actually....well, dribble it in. xD It takes a tad bit of practice, and I've slipped up a few times and probably way over-dosed a little(I assume I over-dose anyway).....but everyones still alive.
Unless you poured like half the bottle or more in there, its not going to harm anything. I'm not even sure if that much would harm anything.....

So don't worry and don't stress! Everything will be just fine. xD

Now, did you manage to get any sort of caves or plants for Henry to hide in in his new home? Its very important when upgrading to a larger tank especially that there is enough cover to help your betta feel more secure and less stressed.

Also, have you done anything to baffle your filter flow? If the flow of the filter is too strong, it can be rather stressful for your betta since they come from naturally very still waters, plus the added handicap of those long fins that often act like little sails catching the current. While some bettas deal with the flow alright, I've found that most bettas are at the very least not nearly as active with an unbaffled filter as with a baffled one, and a not of them just park themselves in the corner/behind the filter for the most part. I'd suggest rubber-banding a bit of filter sponge or the foot of some panty-hose over he out-flow to baffle the filter.

Also, now that you have a larger tank with a filter and heater....you're going to want to look into Cycing. Here are a couple threads from right here on the forum that should be quite helpful to get you started.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=98795
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
If you do decide not to cycle, there really isn't much point to the filter, and you will need to preform at least one 100% change per week....which can get to be a pain in a 5 gallon. If you cycle though, you can eventually go down to just one partial change a week with a gravel vacuum; much less hassle in my opinion. But up to you.

Good luck!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #19 
bettabayley

Okay! I floated him, acclimated him, etc. Then I put him in....and I will not be able to run the filter with him in it all the time. It's just too strong for him. Would I be okay running it for about an hour a day? Should I get a new one?
bettabayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #20 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettabayley View Post
Okay! I floated him, acclimated him, etc. Then I put him in....and I will not be able to run the filter with him in it all the time. It's just too strong for him. Would I be okay running it for about an hour a day? Should I get a new one?
An hour won't get any BB. You need it on 24/7 unless doing water changes. If the BB gets more than 6 hours with no water flow, they'll die off. and when you turn it back on... Ammonia fills the tank. You could baffle it with a sponge. Baffling is best when filters are strong.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote