Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #1 
sandellie4

Gill disease..or no?

I am watching a betta fish for my daughter so I don't know if this is a change in her fish or not (she's unreachable in Kenya). The tank is 10 gallons and all the parameters are fine; she explained all of that before she left.

He seems fine except that I can see the red of his gills, which might be normal. The weird thing, though, is that he sometimes flares out one gill. I don't know if this is different behavior for him or not, but I was thinking it should be symmetrical. I'm worried it's gill disease so I've started Maracyn Two. But I just don't know for sure, because he seems absolutely fine in all other respects -- eating fine, very active, telling me who's boss when I put the Maracyn Two in the tank.

I don't want to keep doing the Maracyn Two if it's very unlikely to be gill disease. But from everything I've read online, gill disease is very bad, so I don't want to overlook it or respond too late.

My daughter told me to post here if I was worried.

TIA

Sandy
sandellie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:46 AM   #2 
Mahachai

I believe this link to an old thread could answer your concerns. Best wishes to your daugther's betta. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73301
Mahachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:57 AM   #3 
sandellie4

Thank you, that helps actually because my daughter's fish is acting normal as well. The thing is, though, that he doesn't have noticeable swelling in either gill. Is it possible that he is flaring one gill, rather than both at once, and if so, is that a problem? I don't want to keep using the medicine unnecessarily, and I want to change the water but am not sure about doing that if there is gill disease.

If his gills don't appear to be swollen, and his activity and eating are fine, should I stop the meds?

I'm sorry...I might be being a worrywart. He's interesting to watch, as I've never watched them very long, but maybe I'm watching him too closely?

Thanks again,

Sandy
Old 09-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #4 
Mahachai

No problem. If he doesn't seem to have any abnormal signs or behavior then I think her betta would be fine without the medications. Is this the first time he's had only one side of his gills flaring? Sometimes bettas can jolt really fast and hit objects when they're scared and may hurt themselves. If so then it might take some time to function his gills properly. I wouldn't worry much as long as he's doing great.
Mahachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:24 AM   #5 
sandellie4

Thank you so much. I think I will stop the meds, change his water 100%, and keep a close eye on his behavior. I'm not sure how he flared in the past, as whenever I watched him to admire him, I never noticed it one way or the other. But now that I'm in charge, I'm noticing everything. lol

Take care, and thank you again.

Sandy