Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #1 
Tikibirds

Banana plant and forground

I really like the banana plants and would like to order some but first I need to know if they are hard to keep and if they need high light. The internet is telling me different things

and any recommendations for forground plants? All the ones I have seem to be growing way taller then my tank height. Only recommend ones that do not need high light or anything special. I guess I could do moss but I don't have patience to make a moss mat
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Small crypts are great. A banana plant is a lily it will keep trying to grow to the surface. Its leaves are smaller than other Lilly's. It also posses the banana shaped bulbs for storing nutrients it is native to the eastern united states. It is endangered in some areas. Dwarf hair grass Pygmy and micro swords are great.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

Oooh - never though of crypts.
I think I may give the banana plant a try. I got some dwarf lilles that are not so dwarf

*looks up micro sword*
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #4 
kfryman

Most of those foreground plants need medium light and should have a source of CO2. Banana plants should have medium light to do better, but some keep it in low light. Never buy one that has mold or fungus already on it, if all them do don't buy.

I would recommend dwarf sag as a foreground as it will do great in low light and in high light. Dwarf hairgrass needs CO2 and medium light, dwarf baby tears, medium light and CO2, they grow super slow in low light, they should be growing so much for every other week trims. Also sag is so much cheaper than the others.

Crypts also get big, usually would be used as a mid-background plant. My avatar has crypts in the front, that is because I need a plant that will break up the tank for the girls, but open enough to allow my other fish room. Crypts also do good in low light as well though.

Last edited by kfryman; 09-23-2012 at 01:22 PM.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

My banana plant never grew under my high light >.>
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #6 
kfryman

Did you have enough ferts and all that? My 15 gallon had almost no growth, then I got the Seachem series, Seachem Flourish, Trace (Plants not the fish one), Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorous, and I plan on buying Iron for my other plants because now I can see the difference in growth and reduction of algae. The higher light burns through so much more ferts because the plants are using more of them.

So I does Macros (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium) and Micros (Flourish), then trace for all the other depleted minerals. I am following someones on Youtubes routine. Works quite well. PM me if you want to go more in depth or what ever.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #7 
twolovers101

I have a micro sword and I love it, Nova likes swimming through it and playing in it lol
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #8 
babystarz

I have a little strip of microsword and it is doing very well, it looks like grass :) I got it from Petsmart, it was in kind of a littler cardboard bag hanging, not in those plastic tubes.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote