Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #1 
JadeAngel

betta gill opened

So one of my betta's gills is stuck open. Here's what happened...

He's been under the weather and I found out it was because bad water, so I had to switch to spring water and restart the cycling. 3 days later, all seems well. He's regained his appetite, he is more energetic little at a time, and even his face (that has remained dark for 2 weeks now) was lighter in color again today.

Thing is... yesterday I was feeding him, and 2 pieces of betta bites got stuck together in the tank and the dumb dumb went straight for them. Within 2 minutes I could see his gill had gotten itself stuck open (his right gill)

I thought... well... I saw it happen, it's just the food... maybe he'll fix it by this morning.

This morning? Nope.. still inflamed. So I isolate him in a 1/2 gallon bowl cuz the little bugger doesn't want to sit still for me to look and see if there is something lodged in there (his tank is a 5 gallon with TOO many places for him to hide when I need him not to)

And I took a flashlight and can see clearly into the open gill from behind him. Nothing in there... the inside is a pinkish fleshy color, but nothing obstructing it....

now what?
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Just a word of advice, always use conditioned tap water, spring water isn't good for them as it doesn't have all of the necessary minerals. Seachem Prime is a good conditioner as it gets rid of ammonia/nitrate as well as chlorine/chloramine. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #3 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
Just a word of advice, always use conditioned tap water, spring water isn't good for them as it doesn't have all of the necessary minerals. Seachem Prime is a good conditioner as it gets rid of ammonia/nitrate as well as chlorine/chloramine. :)
Sorry, I've had a hard week and forgot to include this bit of information.

Our bettas will die if I use our tap water right now. I've already had this discussion with someone else helping me on a different matter (my bettas behavior as a result of this bad water). I ALWAYS use conditioner and have only started using spring water (still with conditioner) a few days ago.

Our tap water was fine but our town has old pipes and the county has been going on a construction frenzy lately and a lot of roads are being ripped up. This has shot up the alkalitity and water hardness off the charts (we have had to stop drinking the tap water as well because it is currently discolored)

When the construction stops and the levels go down again we'll use it again, until then we don't really have a choice (unless "drinking" water is better? because I can get bottled spring water, or bottled drinking water, but tap water is out of the question at the moment)

I don't know what's the difference between bottled spring water and bottled "drinking" water... but I can get the drinking water if that's better until the tap water is usable again.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #4 
Mahachai

Bottled waters would be all right for your bettas. Just microwave the water bottle first so they'll won't be cold before you use. I would get purified drinking water because I'm not so sure about spring water.
Mahachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #5 
Mahachai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahachai View Post
Bottled waters would be all right for your bettas. Just microwave the water bottle first so they'll won't be cold before you use. I would get purified drinking water because I'm not so sure about spring water.
Sorry I kinda sound like I'm off here. I think you meant the difference between spring and purified water (drinking bottled water?). Spring water contains many minerals and such, while purified water is almost or is pure H20 and contains no metals or minerals.
Mahachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #6 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahachai View Post
Sorry I kinda sound like I'm off here. I think you meant the difference between spring and purified water (drinking bottled water?). Spring water contains many minerals and such, while purified water is almost or is pure H20 and contains no metals or minerals.
I get it at walmart (since my husband works there). They are 1 gallon jugs, one is labeled "spring water" one is labeled "drinking water" and there's another, I think "distilled" or "purified" no idea XD it's meant to confuse people, I think, lol.

I have kept the jugs in my room so when I change them they are the same temperature as the tank so it doesn't shock them, but when the heaters arrive that I'm waiting for I'm going to have to heat it as you suggested.

I'm actually really happy right now that he is acting like normal fiiiiinally after a few weeks... so apparently it takes 3 days to recover from bad parameters?

Only thing that remains is the open gill, which has me baffled and hoping it will get better on it's own... but I don't know

Last edited by JadeAngel; 09-23-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #7 
JadeAngel

I'm becoming a water expert, lol...
Ok... here's what I found as far as what defines each........

"Drinking Water: Drinking water is another name for bottled water. Accordingly, drinking water is water that is sold for human consumption in sanitary containers and contains no added sweeteners or chemical additives (other than flavors, extracts or essences). It must be calorie-free and sugar-free. Flavors, extracts or essences may be added to drinking water, but they must comprise less than one-percent-by-weight of the final product or the product will be considered a soft drink. Drinking water may be sodium-free or contain very low amounts of sodium.

Purified Water: Water that has been produced by distillation, deionization, reverse osmosis or other suitable processes and that meets the definition of purified water in the United States Pharmacopoeia may be labeled as purified bottled water. Other suitable product names for bottled water treated by one of the above processes may include "distilled water" if it is produced by distillation, "deionized water" if the water is produced by deionization, or "reverse osmosis water" if the process used is reverse osmosis. Alternatively "_____________ drinking water" can be used with the blank being filled in with one of the terms defined in this paragraph (e.g. "purified drinking water" or "distilled drinking water").

Spring Water: Bottled water derived from an underground formation from which water flows naturally to the surface of the earth. Spring water must be collected only at the spring or through a bore hole tapping the underground formation and the spring. Spring water collected with the use of an external force must be from the same underground stratum as the spring and must have all the physical properties, before treatment, and be of the same composition and quality as the water that flows naturally to the surface of the earth."

and others sites basically say
distilled water= no minerals

spring water= some minerals
drinking water= who the heck knows depending on the source

So... which would be best? Sounds like distilled is a definite no though... so spring or drinking? XD
Old 09-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #8 
JadeAngel

they have the nutritional info listed but all 3 have the same -.-