Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #1 
demonr6

Contaminated water

I think I have doomed my poor betta. Last week we left out of town for a weekend trip and just prior to leaving I made a change to the intake lily pipe on my bettas aquarium. It broke so in a bind I dug through my box of spare parts and rigged a temporary solution. When we get back two days later I check on the fish and he has lost some of his color. It also appears the stupid cat was up on the counter and managed to get a paw in there possibly because the lid is askew. I cannot be 100% certain though.

He was fine the first day, a little lethargic and not his usual self but he was eating and swimming around. I did a partial water change on day two, he was swimming around less but still eating. I did a full test of the water and everything was fine. All the parameters were excellent so there was nothing leading me to believe it was elevated levels causing this so we continued thinking he was stressed from us being gone for two days or worse the interaction with the cat. As the days roll by he is less and less active, barely eating and the last three days he has been either resting on a plant near the surface or just hovering at the surface taking labored and frequent breaths.

I finally had to go into panic mode yesteday and stripped the tank. Today, same deal.. floating at the surface, upright taking frequent breaths.. color is mostly washed out and gone, he was a beautiful purple and now splotchy light color. He is not interested in food although he did eat yesterday. I am at wits end and don't know what to do next. As much as I hate the thought of it I am contemplating putting him out of his misery because watching him sit there only makes me think of him suffering. :( Not sure where to go from here other than put him down.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #2 
registereduser

He doesn't sound sick, just out of sorts. Try getting him some frozen brine shrimp to temp his appetite and give him some time. As long as the water tests clean and he eats now and then, give him some time to recover from the attempted murder
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #3 
demonr6

Uggh, remind me again I am a murderer. I tested his new water, it's fine. I am going to continue with partial water changes every other day. I will try the brine shrimp method later to see if he comes around. I just feel awful on epic levels.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

hows the temerature?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #5 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
Uggh, remind me again I am a murderer.
Sorry! I meant the cat, not you! I would feel the same, didn't mean to be flip HUGZ
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #6 
demonr6

Water temp is fine, water tested fine. Not sure what could have happened.. I have three other bettas, all eating the same food and using the same water at changes. This one has been in the same tank, same location since we got him so nothing out of the ordinary happened other than we left for a two day overnight trip. He didn't get fed but that cannot be cause for him to take such a drastic turn for the worse. He has not eaten in days and just sits there almost motionless except for breathing. We moved him into a smaller QT tank that last day I posted and I do a water change daily without taking him out of the QT tank. We have tried feeding him different pellets, flake food, dried bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, frozen daphnia and nothing. Dropping it in front of his face and he just turns his head. He is nearly translucent now, wasting away to nothing.