Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #1 
zaylia

Exclamation How much food?? I am getting mixed messages

So the food container says feed flakes for two minutes(as much as he will eat) 3 times a day.

People with them say, feed him 4 flakes once a day.

Online I read they can die from eating too much.

I am nervous now to feed him this morning.

I also read they should be fed the little round food, not flakes.

I have nutrifun max flakes.

Another question sorry!

The conditioner I got, has a crack in the lid, is it safe to use?
zaylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #2 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaylia View Post
So the food container says feed flakes for two minutes(as much as he will eat) 3 times a day.
Do NOT do this method you will give your betta a terrible case of bloat

People with them say, feed him 4 flakes once a day.
Yes that is correct for a betta and flakes

Online I read they can die from eating too much.
Yes they can, bloat can lead to serious problems and if not taken care of in time can lead to death

I am nervous now to feed him this morning.
If your doing it right there is nothing to worry about

I also read they should be fed the little round food, not flakes.
Pellets are preferred to flakes because they are a more even in sizes

I have nutrifun max flakes.
I really suggest getting betta pellets, your little guy isn't getting all the nutrition he needs which can possibly cause some issues down the road

Another question sorry!
Oh don't worry! Questions are the right thing :D

The conditioner I got, has a crack in the lid, is it safe to use?
I would definitely return it and get a new one, who knows what could have gotten into the container.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #3 
zaylia

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Oh my goodness!! Pet stores are LIARS when it comes to Bettas!

asap mean tomorrow :(

Will he be okay another day?

Also, should I give him different water? Will that put him into shock being transferred so much in a few days?

It also came with "enviro clean" for the water to help clean it, should I use it?
Old 09-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #4 
lvandert

Not a problem! I'm glad to help. Pet stores don't always know what their talking about...

He'll be alright for the day when it comes to food, as for his water as long as its conditioned and he seems alright I wouldn't worry too much.
Depending on your size of tank the water should be transferred out more than you think. 1 gallon and less = 100% daily water changes, 2 gallon = 50% daily water changes, 3-5 gallons = one 50% water change every other day with a once a week 100%. If you have a filter in the 3-5 gallon range you can do two 50% water changes a week. Filters on smaller tanks just cut out one day (1-2 gal= every other day water changes).

I've never heard of the "enviro clean" what does the bottle say its supposed to do? and what's in it? lol
Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #5 
vilmarisv

Any chemical that says it helps keep the water clean in place of water chanes is a bad idea. Water changes is the easiest and healthiest way to keep your betta in good condition.
I approach feeding through observation. I can feed up to 8 pellets twice a day depending on the fish because I watch carefully for sings of bloat, overweight, slouchiness, underweight, and constipation. I will adjust feeding of each fish accordingly.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #6 
zaylia

Unfortuneatly, he is temporarily in a one gallon fish bowl. So 100% daily water changes, do you mean, give him newly conditioned water every day?

I have been talking to my mom about what I read on here, she keeps laughing. grr. Says co-workers have them in smaller homes, or same size, clean once a week to two weeks, and the one is 2 year sold, others she doesnt know ages.

My Betta, seems just fine, swims around, looks at me, chills down under the decoration, comes to me when i put my finger or face close to bowl. So I guess water is fine :)

Last edited by zaylia; 09-23-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #7 
zaylia

"Nutrafin Betta Enviro-Clean 60 mL (2 fl oz), is a betta bowl cleaner that biologically breaks down waste in betta bowls and containers while promoting clean conditions that help reduce diseases. "
Old 09-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #8 
lvandert

yup, conditioned water every day other wise your ammonia levels get really high. In the correct environment betta fish can live for 3-5 years happily. To be honest I'd love to educate your mother on proper fish care to share to her co-workers. and the fact she's laughing proves how ignorant she is about proper betta care

That unfortunately is the misconception of these little guys "they never need a water change. they live in puddles etc etc" They are actually more work than a ten gallon tropical fish tank.
check out this facebook page dedicated to crushing betta myths http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4591241&type=3

Last edited by lvandert; 09-23-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #9 
zaylia

She says people on here are obsessed, threatened to flush him if I brought up one more post :(

Yet another question lol,

He seemed to be pacing for a bit, stopped once I gave him a few flakes. He will get an air bubble going to the top, then go and try and eat the air bubble is he still hungry?

By the way Rummy is ADORABLE!!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #10 
zaylia

Another question, I am sure I will run out. Is keeping him on my computer desk okay? Will the vibrations freak him out?