Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #1 
sarahspins

Bucket cycling.. do I need to do water changes?

I've googled and I really can't find a clear answer.

I'm cycling my canister filter in a 5 gallon bucket until I can get my 55 gallon tank set up (hopefully this coming week, I'm still waiting on the substrate I ordered to arrive), at which point I'll move the filter over and continue cycling in the tank until it's safe for fish.

Anyways, I started the process Friday by adding enough Ammonia to my 5 gallon bucket to bring the ammonia up to 4ppm, I also added some media (very small amount) from my one cycled tank's filter and I added some tetra safe start to kind of jump start things a bit. I also put extra bio media in this filter in place of chemical filtration as well.

So today, jump starting the cycle seems to have worked, I tested the water and I'm down to 1ppm ammonia, my nitrites are 5ppm, and Nitrates are 10ppm.

What do I do at this point? Dump and refill the bucket and add a little more ammonia (I'm thinking just up to 2ppm.. I overshot it when I added the first time, I didn't mean to go all the way to 4, but now I know how much it takes so that shouldn't be a problem), or just leave it alone until the nitrites go away and dose more ammonia when that goes to 0? I'm suddenly feeling very lost and I'm quite happy that no fish are involved :)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #2 
sarahspins

I just stumbled across my answer... I do a PWC when the nitrates are higher than I can test with my kit :)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote