Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2012, 03:17 AM   #1 
sunstar93

The Problem with Bettas

Well I've never written one of these before so here it goes...
[this post is kinda long![

I've mostly decided to start this "betta journal" because 1) it will help me keep track of what is up with my fish at the moment and 2) because I love them so darn much they need a place to call their own on the site

First, I am Sunstar. I am majoring in Animal Science in college. I want to get my PhD in Equine Reproduction/Genetics. I know...big plans lol. Right now my heart belongs to my fish:

Leonardo (Leo): my blue veiltail boy...he is the first serious fish I have ever had and it is mostly a trial-by-error experience. He's a tough little guy.

Isis: The biggest of my Albino Cories- about 2.5" long! I can tell her apart because whenever she is not eating, she sits on the gravel with her whiskers tucked in like a lady lol.

Jazzy: She is sister to Isis, about the same size, and they came together. She is very energetic and kinda quirky, always getting into Leo's business. She likes to push around the little jewels I have in their tank.

Phoebe: my roommate named her. She has grown so much in the month since I have had her. She came to me as a 1" baby and has grown a whole inch! (I know...I'm so thrilled lol). She is chubby, an "easy keeper" as they say in the horse world.

Jade: my smalled cory. She is the smallest, barely 1" long. She can hold her own though! I thought she was a boy at first because of her size (before I could compare their size to full-grown Jazzy & Isis) and so for a whole month she was named Midas (like King Midas...I love mythology lol). When I got her, she only had 2 whiskers on her left side. Her right ones have never grown back; it looks like someone took scissors and snipped them (just to explain how they look, there's no jagged edges or anything).

All of my cories are beautiful beige-gold color and have long flowy whisker (: they love to each take a piece of an algae or Hikari round and hide it away to nibble on it. I have to break up their food so Leo will not eat the whole thing himself. I make sure to give Jade the biggest piece, hoping she will grow. Maybe she is just small!

I have a 10 gallon tank with all of them in there. Except for right now, Leo is in a 1 gallon hospital tank....

Why is Leo a "problem betta"?
As much as I love my betta boy, I have to say, he is a handful. I got him September 4th and since then he has had: ammonia burns, salt burns (didn't know you were supposed to dissolve AQ salt beforehand...), fin tears, bloat from stress, bloat from eating too much, inflamed gills, fin rot, tail biting and now he has a parasite.... But he's a tough little guy who was sent to me to teach me how to be a good Mommy and I love him to death. If you could hug a fish I'd squish him with hugs <3

The thing I love the most about Leo is how peaceful he is. He even let a ghost shrimp hitch a ride on his back!! And he stares at himself in the mirrored tank wall...doesn't hardly ever flare (once in a while if he scares himself), just stares. Conceited

So that is the beginning of my betta blog...right now Leo is fighting off a parasite that I'm almost positive is the beginning of velvet so I hope he is still strong enough to fight it off!!!

And I know it is technically Friday but...hope that everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

~~Sunstar~~
[I am going to begin posting pictures once I get back to school on Sunday]

Last edited by sunstar93; 11-23-2012 at 03:19 AM.
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #2 
sunstar93

Also...I believe that my two lost babies deserve a mention.

Lucky: It would have been almsot 2 weeks since I rescued him...he was the skinniest, saddest little fish I'd ever seen. He was a purple-gray color...he didn't even have colored scales! He was a Halfmoon Doubletail and had a severe case of Velvet and malnutrition. The poor boy only lived with me for 4 days but I hope that in those last days he got a chance to experience love (I know, kinda sappy but I really do love all my animals!). At least he got to have some warm water and a taste of bloodworms!! My first little rescue

Skye: my poor little Crowntail girl. She lived 2 days with me and I feel as if it was/is my fault she died. She was so little...she had to eat the baby pellets I had bought for Lucky (who could also not eat a whole pellet). I have come to the conclusion that she most likely died from the ammonia levels in our tap water..0.5 ppm!! She was a cutie, loved to zip around her tank. She was so tiny I could only fill the tank up halfway. I hope she knows I wish I had done differently, done something so the water wouldn't have been so toxic to her little body. My first female betta ever

~~Sunstar~~
Old 11-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I named my Cory with Scolosis Obama because the Cory is twisted and bent.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #4 
sunstar93

Aw! Haha that's a good one (Republican, whoop).
I think the Albinos are cute, especially after they eat you see the food in their stomachs it's funny lol
Old 11-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I love how they can move there eyes. Obama is my healthiest Cory out of the 5.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #6 
sunstar93

It's pretty cool lol. They are all healthy. I just worry about Jade because she is so small but honestly I think she is just meant to be small. But she can eat just like her big sisters lol
Old 11-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #7 
lexylex0526

Haha good one choc!

And Leo does sound like a little fighter, he is definitely a strong betta! Your corys sound adorable as well! I have some corys also (points to pro pic) lol.

Good luck to little Leo fighting off that parasite!
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I keep my cories with guppies they are found in trindad and other areas.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:17 AM   #9 
sunstar93

@lexiylex: he is! he's gotten a lot better, what with being in distilled water (my parents insisted) and Maracid medicine. He's looking good now, in the clear (;

So, yes, Leo is doing better! I think catching it early, hitting it hard with Maracide, warm water (82*) and the fact that it is from the water softening tap (no ammonia, yay!) is helping!! Going to buy a few gallons of distilled water for back home to keep up the treatment, he doesn't need the ammonia to battle as well as the nasty bug.

Disappointed, couldn't go to the petstore yesterday to check out the Black Friday sales...but apparently they only had VTs on sale and I've been wanting a halfmoon or a plakat (also a king betta...but $12 is kinda ridiculous). And I have to say, I definitely like critter keepers. Nice and sturdy lol.After my cat nearly knocked Leo's cage off the table..bad kitty.

Get to go back to my dorm tomorrow and see my cories [: I hope they forgive me for leaving them lol. They'll get a helping of Hikari tablets when I get back so hopefully they won't be too upset with me. Been thinking about what to do with their tank...I already have 4 cories in there and it is a 10 gallon tank...thinking I might get a female betta and once she is out of QT, I'll add her in there. Leo can't stay in the big tank anymore because he gets stressed, "glass-surfs" (as I like to call it, where he obsessively patrols the front of the tank), and tail bites. Since he has been in his 1 gallon temp/hospital tank he has been much better, no signs of tail biting all week. Over Christmas break I'm going to bleach his plastic 3 gallon, the gravel, the filter, heater, plants...everything! Because that is where the parasite began and that is also where it will end. But at my dorm there is not a reliable sunlight source (we face away from the sun all the time) and I'd rather have it sit outside in full sunshine at my parents' house. Just a little note on my plans(:

Speaking of Christmas...put up our Christmas tree today!! And almost all of our ornaments...we have a Hallmark Ornament tree and there are so many!! 4 boxes full and we only used 2 boxes and the tree is full. Just hoping my cat doesn't go climbing in it like she did a couple years ago, tipped the tree into the window and cracked the base. But so excited for the holidays!! (mostly because it means a whole month away from college lol).

Speaking of my cat (sorta)....I turned around to give Leo his flakes (Omega One betta buffet...yum) and turned back and the cat was on the table eating them!!!! Didn't realize that "whole salmon, black cod, krill and rockfish" would be so appealing to her...kinda gross haha.

So did any of you get some really good Black Friday deals???

Hope everyone has enjoyed the holiday!

~~Sunstar~~
Old 11-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #10 
sunstar93

Also, just wanted to add that I am now officially a Bone Marrow donor!!

~~Sunstar~~