Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #1 
Shayebri

baby crawdads!

I recently found some baby crawdads in my creek. I kept one, and probably have it in a 5-6 gal metal bucket, with 3-4 inch deep tap water that I let sit outside for 24 hours. so what should I feed him? he is about 2 cm long. some places say to feed them fish food, so Ive tried Piccolos pellets and flakes, but he doesnt seem to be interested.
Shayebri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #2 
cjconcepcion

i love crawdads :) heres mine!
they do eat fish food, and a wide array of different leafy veggies. however, since mine is in a tank with a fish i get him food that is made from crustaceans. i believe its called top fin crab & lobster bites
Attached Images

cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #3 
Relic

I have a holding tank full of crayfish that I use for fishing bait...I've kept the tank stocked with 100+ crayfish for a few years now. I feed them mainly the left overs of the fish I keep to eat..which is usually just the head/carcass, They will pick the bones clean also worms{nightcrawlers or redworms} and the baby ones usually eat pellets made for Koi...there called pond pellets or something like that. I know they will eat decaying vegetation as well. Crayfish really aren't to picky.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #4 
Shayebri

Thanks! So im taking it they are compatible with bettas until they are too big?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #5 
cjconcepcion

honestly, i would only keep a cray with a plakat or female betta. i wouldnt trust him with those long fins. they wont eat your betta, but if they get a chance to nip their fins, they will.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #6 
Shayebri

Okay. Probably still wont put him in with Pic, but good to know. Ill post a pic when I can.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #7 
Silverfang

From what I understand, any fish is fair game for them. I wouldn't keep them with any fish.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #8 
cjconcepcion

Silverfang has a valid point. i wouldnt recommend keeping crawdads with a fish you arent willing to risk. I do it simply because i think i have the experience (80+ bettas) and multiple crayfish. Also, i do understand the risk i am taking by keeping a betta with a fish that has the potential to catch and eat it. But i try to keep those risks at a minimum by providing lots of hiding places, a lot of room (its a 10 gallon tank, they are the only two animals in there), and also by feeding the crayfish, to keep his appetite at a minimum and to detest him from hunting
Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #9 
Shayebri

Kay.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #10 
copperarabian

My friend used to have a pet cray fish, he was fed pellets, and feeder fish from the pet store. They molt a few times and their claws get larger and will definitely be able to kill fish.

kinda gruesome, highlight to read.
Hers would whip a claw out and severely injure the fish, often this sliced open the belly and the crawdad either waited for the fish to die or until it was to lethargic to get away anymore and would eat it alive.
Never trust a crawdad with a fish
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote