Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #21 
crowntaillove

when I cleaned out my fish pond, I would blow through the garden hose. doing that created a vacuum, and it saved me from getting fish poop in my mouth. it might work for airline tubes too.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:42 AM   #22 
chibifish

Thought I'd share something stupid I did with mine.

So, I needed to sanitize it. I boil some water and think I can just suck it through. Oh. no. OH, NO. The hard tube just melted. I managed to catch it in time so it's only melted together in the middle. It still works for now.

Anyone know where you can buy new hard plastic tubes?
chibifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #23 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I love it too. I guess my tube is long enough so that when I give it a quick suck I can get away before the water starts to come out. The gunk that gets vacuumed up is amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
Oh I love mine. It's a pump one so I never have to suck on it and the tube is long enough to be put in the sink in the kitchen for easier draining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schell0385 View Post
LOL! You all have a good sense of humor......I just ordered mine and it will arrive this week. I thought I would have a nice glass of red wine before I started sucking on the end......maybe I will not notice the fish gunk.
Smiles, and grins.

schell
*thinks to self* family forum, dude....don't make a dirty joke here......

seriously though, mine is wonderful. other than a split second of fish nastiness, it's the easiest way i've EVER found to do gravel cleanings and water changes.

Last edited by homegrown terror; 09-25-2012 at 07:06 AM.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #24 
registereduser

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=72551
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #25 
BettaKat1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibifish View Post
Thought I'd share something stupid I did with mine.

So, I needed to sanitize it. I boil some water and think I can just suck it through. Oh. no. OH, NO. The hard tube just melted. I managed to catch it in time so it's only melted together in the middle. It still works for now.

Anyone know where you can buy new hard uplastic tubes?
LOL! Ooops! Seriously tho I have seen clear Flexible large gauge tubing in the shower/toilet repair parts isle at Home Depot that woild prob work. Or you could try a piece of 1/2 inch pvc pipe? It wont be clear but I think would still work.

Last edited by BettaKat1962; 09-25-2012 at 11:37 AM.
BettaKat1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #26 
jag14

My husband loves Home Depot. He would live in there if he could. He's always telling me we could do or that for the tanks in the things he finds there. Sometimes he's actually right. I've seen the tubing and the pipe that would probably fit as replacement parts.
jag14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #27 
Pogthefish

Hey guys, if someone hasn't already mentioned this, if you have a weak one with a pump, get it started, THEN keep pumping for a bit and see if that helps, also, the lower the low end is, the better it will work.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #28 
BettaKat1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag14 View Post
My husband loves Home Depot. He would live in there if he could. He's always telling me we could do or that for the tanks in the things he finds there. Sometimes he's actually right. I've seen the tubing and the pipe that would probably fit as replacement parts.
Lol! Yup..we make a few trips a week ourselves! I was thinking of pitting together a sponge filter and everything needed is right there. Could prolly put together a cheap gravel vacume as well. I only wish I had thought of fabricating my own before buying another one exactly like the one that broke on me :-0
BettaKat1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #29 
chibifish

Thanks guys! I never thought about using that!
chibifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:46 AM   #30 
goldfishyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviCy View Post
I loved mine at first it self primed very well and after 2 uses it stopped working that way and I have to suck on it, also mine stopped being as powerful and won't suck anything up anymore and I can't for the life of me figure out why. It takes an hour to drain 20% if the tank its that slow it used to take me 20 minutes tops.
You have something stuck inside the bulb or the flapper valve is stuck partially shut. This would prevent you from creating the vacuum to suck the water out. Also if it is partially closed then water flow would be slower.

There are a few methods you can try using to start a siphon that does not have a built in pump.
1. Fill the vacuum with water and lift it up out of the water so that the water starts to flow into the hose. Before the water in the tube is completely drained dump it back in the water keep the opening facing up so that air does not get sucked in. Once the tube is fully submerged and water is flowing you can point the opening down and begin vacuuming.

2. Pour water into the hose while putting your thumb on the output side of the hose. Once the hose and vacuum are full with water go to your aquarium and quickly put the vacuum into the water and lower the hose into the bucket at the same time. Remove your thumb from the hose and the water will begin to flow. Start vacuuming the gravel.

3. If you have a long enough hose that can reach a faucet have one person hold the vacuum in the tank and fill the hose up with the faucet. Depending on how long your hose is you can probably get away with filling the hose halfway with water then stop filling. Allow the water that is in the hose to drain and it should begin to suck the remaining air out and start pulling water.

Remember the higher the tank is off the ground the faster the siphon will work. It is basically gravity fed. If your bucket is the same height as the tank you will not get it to siphon.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote