Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #1 
Meggie6347

Bob fin biting

Hey everyone...I don't know if you remember bob...if you don't, this is him:

Anyway, he has started to fin bite...I don't know why, and I have no idea even where to start. I have never had an issue with this with any of my bettas before.

I will answer anything that will help to nail this down..on one part of his fins he has bitten it down to more than half way to his body.

I will try to post pictures later.

Thanks for any help!
Meg
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #2 
babystarz

Fin biting tends to occur because of either stress or boredom. Could you tell us about his tank, what's in it, what type of room it's located in, etc.?
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #3 
Meggie6347

His tank is a planted 5.5 gallon. And I don't mean with some store bought decorations and a few plants stuck in there. I Mean with sand, driftwood, and all live plants.

His tak is in the living room. We are always in here so he gets lots of attention. There is always something going on outside of his tank.

Thank you for your quick reply!

Edit: I don't have any pictures of Bob's tank, but this is pretty much what all of my tanks look like just for reference. (this is actually an old un-updated picture of walter's tank. It looks a lot better now).

Last edited by Meggie6347; 09-23-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #4 
OrangeAugust

How long have you had him? What is the filter current like?
My betta just started biting his fins too and I'd already had him for 2 months. But I think I figured it out- the filter current is a lot stronger now because the cartridge is gunky so it's mostly flowing out the overflow thing. I think it's too much with his heavy fins. I moved him to a tank without a filter right now until I can get a new cartridge and get it going with beneficial bacteria from the old cartridge. We'll see if he stops biting now that he's not fighting any current.
Maybe your guy doesn't like the filter current?
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #5 
Kenny G

Another possibility is the bright lights. My betta Junior started tail biting 2 months after I had him. I quickly figured out it was the bright light. Now I use a dimmer light and he tail biting has stopped and his tail is just as long as ever.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #6 
Meggie6347

Thank you all for your replies! We have had him for about a year. He has never done this before. It just started like a week or two ago. He has had the same light almost since we have had him and there is almost no filter current at all.

Do you think maybe if I feed hima variety of foods a little more (because I'm getting really bad about not feeding brine shrimp and bloodworms...I always run out of time or forget) it might help? Every mornin the past few days it's been worse and worse...I think he might be down to almost his body now in one place

Thank you all for your replies! I will definitely try messing with those things to see if it helps... Can't change the light, the plants need it...but I cam try keeping them off for as long as I can without it killing the plants?

Thank your for apyour help! I really want to fix this!
Meg