Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #1 
crowntaillove

Help please!?!

So I went out and bought Rasputin the whisper internal filter for his 10 gallon today. I put it in and he's having problems swimming against the current! Should I take it out, or is there something I can do from home that could help?

Also, Phoenix has changed colors overnight and I'm very concerned...
About a quarter of her anal fin (the upmost part closest to her body), which was solid red, has now turned a tan color. I don't know what's up with that, but it seems to have happened overnight, and she has some major stress stripes going on.

One more question. My halfmoon, Hank, has something going on with his fins. What does tail rot look like? I just noticed it when I got home, his fins look very ruffled up at the ends, but he's happy as can be. He's eating like a pig, he made a bubble nest while I was at the store, and he's flaring around like nothings wrong, but I'm still concerned. So I put some aquarium salt and melafix in his tank. (He's in a 10 gallon and in the same tank as Phoenix.)

I changed their tank water last night (about a 75% water change) added the conditioner and what not, to both Rasputin and Hank's tanks. Rasputin and Penny seem fine and dandy.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #2 
PaintedOaksOki

When you say your two fish are in the same tank... Do you mean in a divided tank? Or are they freely swimming around together?

I'd take the melafix out, anything with the affix 'fix' tends to harm the betta's labyrnth. IF you do not know what is wrong with your fish there should not be any medication in their water currently. IF you know that there is an external problem you can treat with AQ salt.
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #3 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedOaksOki View Post
When you say your two fish are in the same tank... Do you mean in a divided tank? Or are they freely swimming around together?

I'd take the melafix out, anything with the affix 'fix' tends to harm the betta's labyrnth. IF you do not know what is wrong with your fish there should not be any medication in their water currently. IF you know that there is an external problem you can treat with AQ salt.
Divided tank. I assumed it was tail rot and I panicked. What should I do, or what else could it be?
Old 09-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #4 
babystarz

Fin rot looks like black edging on tattered fins. It's possible he just ripped his fin, so just using AQ salt for 10 days maximum is fine. There's no need to use any medication.

I would also advise you to move Hank to a hospital tank; adding medications to shared tanks isn't a good idea and if you have any plants in there they may be adversely affected by salt.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #5 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Fin rot looks like black edging on tattered fins. It's possible he just ripped his fin, so just using AQ salt for 10 days maximum is fine. There's no need to use any medication.

I would also advise you to move Hank to a hospital tank; adding medications to shared tanks isn't a good idea and if you have any plants in there they may be adversely affected by salt.
Okay, thank you for that advice. Should I do a water change on the tank, and give Phoenix free roam? I have a half gallon tank I could use for a hospital tank. Hank doesn't have black edging though. All of his fins look really ragged, all the way around. He's not missing any chunks, and I don't think he's losing any length, I don't know whats wrong. :/
Old 09-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #6 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove View Post
Okay, thank you for that advice. Should I do a water change on the tank, and give Phoenix free roam? I have a half gallon tank I could use for a hospital tank. Hank doesn't have black edging though. All of his fins look really ragged, all the way around. He's not missing any chunks, and I don't think he's losing any length, I don't know whats wrong. :/
Yeah that would probably be a good idea, could you post a picture of Hank? It's easier to figure out what's wrong with fish if we can see a picture :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #7 
toad

I've got 2 Whisper filters (one is sitting in my cabinet unused) and the current they make is hideous. Some of the members here have put filter sponge in the out flow and it cut down on the current a lot.

When I first got Howie, I left the Whisper 10 on in his tank, and it sucked him in. Scared me to death. I'm planning on giving him a nice safe sponge filter instead :)
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #8 
crowntaillove

Here's a picture. Sorry about the quality. He's also a double tail so thats the slight indentation you're seeing. He also has blue eyes. :] He's also had a white tip on his dorsal since a few days after I got him, I'm not sure if that's relivant.

I figured out what was up with Phoenix's anal fin. When she's mad/stressed about something, her anal fin actually changes colors! I've never heard or seen this before! When her stress stripes go away, her anal fin goes back to being solid red. I thought that was neat.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with filters, so if you could advise me on how to put a filter sponge in the outflow with directions made for dummies, you'd be helping me and Rasputin a great deal. :]
Old 09-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #9 
toad

Here's the Baffle thread - the photo I wanted to show you was the first one on page 4 (the water bottle one works pretty good, but I think the sponge is safer for betta fins):

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139&page=4

Basically, you take an aquarium sponge and a rubber band, and you use the sponge to create a little wall where the water comes back out of the filter, then wrap the rubber band around it :)
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #10 
crowntaillove

Awesome! Thank you so much.