Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #1 
RedRaz

Which fish should I get?

Hello everyone! I recently bought a 10 gal aquarium deluxe kit *heater, filter* from Petco. I was wondering what type of fish would you all recommend? I plan to start cycling my tank next week. Since it will take a few weeks I wanted to make sure I knew which fish to buy once I have cycled my tank. Any suggestions? Or advice for a newbie?

Thank you in advance!
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #2 
inuudo

I'm a newbie, too. I stocked my ten gallon with nine neon tetras and a mystery snail. I have an Aquaclear 20 filter, a 50 watt heater, gravel substrate, live plants, and lava rock.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #3 
RedRaz

Hello inuudo! Oh wow! Sounds wonderful. You should post a pic. :) I love seeing other members tank setups. What are your thoughts on fancy goldfish? IDK why but they remind me of cute puppies. lol! I just am not sure if a 10 gal is big enough for them though.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #4 
RedRaz

I just did some research and found out I would need a 20 gal for one fancy goldfish and a 30 gal for two fancy goldfish. *sigh* I wonder if I should return my 10 gal and upgrade it? Or just look for other fish that would work with my 10 gal. Hmmmm. The other option I was still contemplating was dividing a 10 gal tank and getting two bettas.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:47 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

do you happen to know if you have hard or soft water? Some fish do better in hard and some in soft however I am not sure what fish go into what catagory.
If petco is still doing the $1/gallon - I would upgrade if you really want a goldfish.
Or you could do something like guppies or cory's in a 10 gallon or an all female betta tank but that is more risky as there is no guarantee the girls will be able to get along.

I divide mine 3 ways to house 3 bettas in each 10G.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 09-24-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #6 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
do you happen to know if you have hard or soft water? Some fish do better in hard and some in soft however I am not sure what fish go into what catagory.
If petco is still doing the $1/gallon - I would upgrade if you really want a goldfish.
Or you could do something like guppies or cory's in a 10 gallon or an all female betta tank but that is more risky as there is no guarantee the girls will be able to get along.

I divide mine 3 ways to house 3 bettas in each 10G.
I don't know for sure but living in Chicago I'm sure it is hard water. Yeah I didn't see that sale going on which is a bummer because I really wanted to get a 20 gal. Well maybe they will have another soon. *fingers crossed* I was thinking of doing a female betta tank but then I would be afraid they would fight or kill each other. Sounded too stressful for me. A divided tank sounds great if I can't get a 20 gal. Did you post a pic of your tank? I would love to see it.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #7 
xShainax

I would say tetra's, guppies maybe, swordtails, mollies.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #8 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
I would say tetra's, guppies maybe, swordtails, mollies.
How many fish would you rec in a 10 gal tank? Which of those that you suggested get a long the best?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

If you want goldfish, upgrade to a 55 gal. In a 30 gal you would only be able to have two and would be doing huge water changes multiple times a week to keep it clean. Keep in mind, minimum requirements mean maximum care.

If you stick with the 10 gal and do have hard water, guppies or endler's livebearers would be great choices for you. You can have between 4-7 males in a 10 gal. Avoid females unless you want babies (and eventually overpopulation and inbreeding). Mollies and platies are also hard-water fish, but they need a larger tank than a 10 gal. They grow larger than guppies and are more active.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #10 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
If you want goldfish, upgrade to a 55 gal. In a 30 gal you would only be able to have two and would be doing huge water changes multiple times a week to keep it clean. Keep in mind, minimum requirements mean maximum care.

If you stick with the 10 gal and do have hard water, guppies or endler's livebearers would be great choices for you. You can have between 4-7 males in a 10 gal. Avoid females unless you want babies (and eventually overpopulation and inbreeding). Mollies and platies are also hard-water fish, but they need a larger tank than a 10 gal. They grow larger than guppies and are more active.
Oh wow! Thanks for clearing that up for me. I definitely could not house a 55 gal tank in my apartment. That is too bad because I really LOVE goldfish. At least I know what is a good size tank for them. Perhaps when I get a bigger place.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I had no idea about all this before I bought my 10 gal tank. Now I wish I waited. I definitely don't want to overstock fish so knowing this is great! I'm probably gonna keep the 10 gal tank and when my betta Raz gets better move him into it once it has been cycled of course.