Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #1 
PinoyPooPow

Exclamation HELP! Unknown Fungi?

Hey everyone,

I have recently started a new 9L (I'm Aussie) tank which is either going to be my new male bettas tank. It's been cycling for 2 weeks now with a carbon filter and I've added some bio enhancer thing from the store.

I've noticed there is small white fungi spores on the top and cob-web like fungi (also white) growing on the suction pads of the heater. Please help me figure out what it is and tell me if this is good or bad. I'll try getting pictures but I'm on my iPhone right now.

Also ask me if you want to know more info.

Thanks heaps guys!
PinoyPooPow
PinoyPooPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #2 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyPooPow View Post
Hey everyone,

I have recently started a new 9L (I'm Aussie) tank which is either going to be my new male bettas tank. It's been cycling for 2 weeks now with a carbon filter and I've added some bio enhancer thing from the store.

I've noticed there is small white fungi spores on the top and cob-web like fungi (also white) growing on the suction pads of the heater. Please help me figure out what it is and tell me if this is good or bad. I'll try getting pictures but I'm on my iPhone right now.

Also ask me if you want to know more info.

Thanks heaps guys!
PinoyPooPow
Do you have a water parameter test kit? Usually this type of fungus is caused by an excess of nutrients in the tank and a bump in your ammonia reading would help to confirm that.

This stuff isn't necessarily good or bad on its own, but it indicates that you need something in the tank to eat the waste and nutrients inside it. I've had a fuzzy white fungus attach to suction cups in one of my tanks before and a snail in the tank sorted it right out. If you don't like snails, a few live plants in the tank will also suck up those nutrients, depriving other types of growth (algae, fungus, etc.) from getting them and proliferating in your tank.

You can also put some old tank water in a bucket and scrub any accessories in it to get the fungus off, but since it reproduces via spores you probably won't be able to completely eradicate the problem just by doing that.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote