Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2012, 03:23 AM   #1 
Setsuna

breeding wild imbellis

hey guys i just bought a pair of wild imbellis from aquabid. and i was just wondering is breeding wild bettas any diff from breeding any other bettas? also this will be the thread for the imbellis spawning log
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #2 
babystarz

Note, I'm just starting to research this as well, but based on what I'm finding so far, the conditions needed for breeding differ slightly for each species. For imbellis, a few differences from splendens:

- Imbellis can be kept in pairs full time in a 10 gal tank with lots of cover and plants.
- Imbellis prefer slightly cooler water than splendens, mid 70's to low 80's maximum
- Spawning is very similar to splendens, imbellis are bubblenesters, and I think the female does not need to be removed from the tank after spawning?

Also sending you a PM with a link to more info.

I am considering getting a wild pair myself so I will definitely be subscribing to your thread! How did you decide to go with the imbellis? I have been looking at some smaragdina and mahachai pairs, but if you end up with babies for sale I would totally be interested in a pair from you.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #3 
EvilVOG

pretty sure baby is correct from what i've heard. I've also heard that the fry are experts at hiding, and it's led people believe that they didn't have a spawn at all
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #4 
Setsuna

if i do have a spawn of imbellis i'll be sire to sell if to anyone here that wants one but yea thank you guys for the tips.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #5 
Mahachai

Wow! Congrats! I own a metallic mahachai pair myself. It's nice to know that there are more people getting into wild type bettas!
Mahachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #6 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahachai View Post
Wow! Congrats! I own a metallic mahachai pair myself. It's nice to know that there are more people getting into wild type bettas!
Ooh I would love to see them :) Do you breed your mahachai?

I wish there were a wild type betta subforum here :P
Old 09-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Soft water, dim lighting, lots of tannins, lots of cover and lots of live/frozen foods and you should be good to go.

That is essentially my recipe for breeding wild bettas and has never steered me wrong.

I never remove my females from the tank as with wild bettas they will tend to guard the area around the nest and chase others away. However, some females will readily eat their fry so you have to be mindful of that.

Unfortunately, only a handful of members own wild bettas so it would probably be a wasted sub-forum. They are such a niche market, which is a shame as there are so many species, from the tiny uberis right up to the substantial macrostoma.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #8 
Setsuna

The seller just told me that my fishes will be shipped on the 7th on october to me thats a long time from now
Old 09-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #9 
PitGurl

I'm just getting to wild bettas myself. I've got a pair of guitar smaragdina and a pair of mahachai coming next week. I'm looking at getting involved in the IBC's species maintenance program http://www.ibcbettas.org/smp/index.html

I'm also hoping to show my wilds in IBC shows.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #10 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitGurl View Post
I'm just getting to wild bettas myself. I've got a pair of guitar smaragdina and a pair of mahachai coming next week. I'm looking at getting involved in the IBC's species maintenance program http://www.ibcbettas.org/smp/index.html

I'm also hoping to show my wilds in IBC shows.
That's awesome Pitgurl, I had no idea this program existed! I would love to learn more about it and maybe get involved at some point. Would love to see pics of your pairs when they are settled in too :)