Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #1 
RedRaz

Which snails are best with Bettas?

Hello! I'm a new betta mom and I have been thinking about getting live plants and possibly a snail for my tank. I have a 2.5 betta bow tank with filter and gravel. I have heard anacharis, java fern, java moss and Hornwort are good plants for smaller tanks. What would be a good snail? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance. Here is a picture of my tank and little guy Raz. :)

Also I recently added a heater and thermometer. That was an early pic.
Attached Images

RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi and well most any snail would be fine but I guess the bigger the better cause my Betta ate a tiny pond snail that had been left behind when I thought I got off all the snails and eggs on my live plants. There is one called a Netrite of something like that thats good cause it doesnt put out as much bi-load (poop) lol I think a lot on here have apple snails. Let me check and see what I can find out and I will message you with the information about type of snails and whatever you do dont get any pond snails, they start laying eggs very fast and your tank would be overloaded with them ! That is what were on my live plants and I put them in thier own little half a gallon tank cause I dont want to kill them and they are cute little guys and fun to watch.

Oh I just saw perfume and stuff beside your tank whatever you do dont spray them anywhere near the tank it could kill your fish, same goes for hairspray.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #3 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Hi and well most any snail would be fine but I guess the bigger the better cause my Betta ate a tiny pond snail that had been left behind when I thought I got off all the snails and eggs on my live plants. There is one called a Netrite of something like that thats good cause it doesnt put out as much bi-load (poop) lol I think a lot on here have apple snails. Let me check and see what I can find out and I will message you with the information about type of snails and whatever you do dont get any pond snails, they start laying eggs very fast and your tank would be overloaded with them ! That is what were on my live plants and I put them in thier own little half a gallon tank cause I dont want to kill them and they are cute little guys and fun to watch.

Oh I just saw perfume and stuff beside your tank whatever you do dont spray them anywhere near the tank it could kill your fish, same goes for hairspray.
Oh wow thank you so much Perseusmom! That is good to know. Eeek I would not want ton of baby snails everywhere. Wow I can imagine how fast they can multiply. Awww that is nice of you. I LOVE snails. I was given a golden color snail a long time ago that was just so cute. It was so cool to watch them go to work. That is why I wanted to know about having one in my betta's tank. Thank fo the info that is most helpful.

Yeah that picture was taken when I first put my little guy in the tank. I hadn't moved my perfume off my dresses yet. Don't worry I make sure I spray my perfume in the bathroom far away from Raz. I just assumed it would be bad for him. I'm not sure it is even good for me either. lol! Thanks for your concern though some people don't think about things like that. It's best to tell them because the fish can not.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #4 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I would totally reccomend nerite snails. I keep one with my betta in it's 5 gallon. :) They stall small, about the size of a quarter, and graze off algae. It is reccomended to also feed algae tablets and some veggies such as cucumber and spinach when there isn't any algae around. Since they stay small they don't poop to much. Make sure you are doing water changes 2x a week, one 50%, and one 100%. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #5 
amyteee

My betta has a taste for snail meat. I guess a bigger species like an apple snail would be the best choice, especially if your betta is a greedy guts and not fussy with his food. :)
amyteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #6 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
I would totally reccomend nerite snails. I keep one with my betta in it's 5 gallon. :) They stall small, about the size of a quarter, and graze off algae. It is reccomended to also feed algae tablets and some veggies such as cucumber and spinach when there isn't any algae around. Since they stay small they don't poop to much. Make sure you are doing water changes 2x a week, one 50%, and one 100%. :)
Thanks! I just bought a nerite snail today and my betta *Raz* is very interested in him *Thor*. Hasn't tried to eat him just stares at him like a stalker! lol! Maybe he was a bit lonely. Poor thing. *fingers crossed* They work out together. Thor is the cutest! Thanks for your help!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #7 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyteee View Post
My betta has a taste for snail meat. I guess a bigger species like an apple snail would be the best choice, especially if your betta is a greedy guts and not fussy with his food. :)
Eeeek! I hope my Raz isn't a snail eater. I bought a nerite snail today so hopefully they get along. So far so good. I will def keep the apple snail in mind if this one doesn't work out. Thanks for letting me know. :)
Old 09-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Wait, so it's OK to have a Nerite snail with a Betta in a tank less than 5 gallons? :O I never knew, thought there was too much bio load. Aw well.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #9 
RedRaz

Raz and Thor! :)

See what I mean this is how he stares at him. lol. It's funny but a bit nerve wrecking too. Eeek! I don't want him to take a bit. So far so good though.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #10 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Wait, so it's OK to have a Nerite snail with a Betta in a tank less than 5 gallons? :O I never knew, thought there was too much bio load. Aw well.
Eeeekkkkk! *sigh* Well I did buy *splurge really* a 10 gal tank today. Once I get it cycled properly I will move them out. Hopefully all goes well. I will have to make sure I keep up with the water changes *twice* weekly. I don't want either to get sick. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.