Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #1 
celie

Fin Tear vs Fin Rot

How can I tell if Lex has fin rot or if it's just a tear? I've read that with fin rot, the tips are black/gray/white. I don't see any color difference at the tips. However, it does look like the fins are receding a bit. If for some reason it isn't fin rot and I still treat him for it, would it have any negative effects on him?

Here's some more info that may helpful.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? It's at 76 right now. It's never consistent, ranging from 74-84. I have to keep monitoring the tank because my heater can overheat the water sometimes.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, it came with the tank. I use the whisper bio bag inserts.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, I don't think so.
Is your tank heated? Yes, I have to keep turning it off and on though. It not an adjustable heater. It just stays on all the time.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra BettaMin flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? I've only had him for a week and 2 days, and so far I've done 2 100% water changes. Plan to do one this evening.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just the water conditioner. I should also note that with the 2nd water change I did add some gravel and new tank decorations.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? just the fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Saturday, when I did the water change and added the decorations
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I don't want to treat him for fin rot unless I know for sure he has it.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not since I got him on the 15th.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know, he was a prize/gift.

I'll try to get some pictures up, but it's tough to get a good clear pic of his fins.
celie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #2 
lelei

Hello, I would just say, if you can try to do a lil upgrade on his tank, for a more consistant temp, it should be 78, and that will prevent illnesses..but for now if you see receding fins, could be Tailbiting, what kind of tail does your betta have, if he is a long finned male, HM or VT, it is a possibility of biting syndrome, they do this often, the other thing is if the water stays clean, ripped fins will heal fairly quickly, however, it can turn to fin rot, with black pieces of fin flaking off in the water, and you will notice the black at the edges..but it sounds more like your fishy is biting, and if he has no shelter, like plants, or a hidey cave, he could be feeling anxiety..and the temp flucuations as well.. If you have some stress coat, that will help it is a great water conditioner, and helps regrow ripped fins, and very clean, warm water.

Last edited by lelei; 09-24-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: forgot something
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

Often in the smaller tanks the filter itself can be the cause of fin damage with the Long fin males. Fin biting is also possible and needs to be ruled out, however, sometimes the change in environment along with water movement can be the cause of the fin biting. Once we get a pic we can help tell you what it is caused from.

IMO/E 1.5gal is fine to keep a long fin male long term provided that water quality is maintained.

IMO/E-filters are optional for this species-especially in the smaller tanks with Long fin males. With a filter you can establish the nitrogen cycle in smaller tanks, however, due to the limited surface area the cycle might not be stable and you would still need to make twice weekly water changes unless you had active growing live plants.

You may or may not need a heater, however, its a good idea to have one on hand....Your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable temp in the 76-80F range.
If you are able to maintain the temp in the 76F range-you might be able to remove it or turn if off for now and depending on your location-weather-room temp in general you may or may not need the heater IMO....

You do need a thermometer to monitor the tank temp and the temp of the replacement water used for water changes.

Nutrition is really important-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals and if you have access to mosquito larva offer a few rinsed several times a day.

With fin rot-usually the fins will look tattered, discolored and crusty
With fin damage from either water movement or biting-IMO the best treatment is clean dechlorinated water from partial water changes and good nutrition.

IMO-100% water changes should be limited to 1 time a week without a filter and only partials if you have a filter-Even with treatments 100% water changes can sometimes be stressful and can further compromise the immune response.
Betta don't produce byproducts like you may think-often water quality issues stem from the fish food itself-either poor quality or overfeeding.....

Tannins-from either IAL (Indian almond leaf) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf can also be helpful-The tannins can help toughen fins/scales, ease stress along with the natural antibacterial/fungal properties they contain.

Look forward to the pic....and it can be a challenge to get one on a moving target....lol......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #4 
celie

After trying and trying, I was able to get some pictures. I'm sure these will be enough, but if you need more than let me know.

You can see the top fin has some damage. It can be a tear/biting... not sure.

This is a blurry one but you can see that it's starting to recede... although it may be tail biting. I noticed that the tail and fins are not as rounded, and look more pointy than usual, which is what concerned me.

Here's another pic. The pelvic fin has also receded. I was using a flashlight to see better and did notice that the tips are red after the white section. I don't know if this is normal.

And here is another pic with the bottom fin, you can see how it's receding or tearing at the part towards the tail.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #5 
celie

Ok, so I'm pretty sure he has fin rot. :( It just got worse.... Going to start treating him. I bought the aquarium salt earlier today in case he had it. Do I have to keep the temperature higher? I also bought some stress coat, but I don't know how much I need to put in per gallon.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #6 
celie

Does anyone know how soon I should see signs of recovery?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Its hard to tell by the pic...but I don't see rot....I do see what looks like new growth on the caudal fin....Can you try to get some pic that are not so dark or if you have a program that can lighten them up some. I just figured out how to use that program on my new computer myself before I add pic on photobucket to use here...just a thought.....

If he is otherwise acting okay and its just some fin damage and the fin tips don't look crusty, discolored and tattered...not just tattered.....If its just tattered fins....I would leave him in his regular tank, turn off the filter and do a fresh water treatment and good nutrition.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #8 
celie

I'll try to get a better pic tonight. It did get worse than what I posted. Some of the clear part of the tail wasn't there anymore.. it just dissolved.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Have you turned off the filter and made a 50% water only change yet-if so when or how long ago.....
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #10 
celie

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Have you turned off the filter and made a 50% water only change yet-if so when or how long ago.....
I did turn the filter off... but I didn't do a 50% water change only. I thought it was supposed to be daily 100% water changes with aquarium salt. I started treating him because I saw it got worse in a few hours.