Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #1 
lesliealaine

Question Betta and Mystery Snail

I've had my betta Kreacher for a few months now. I had already had a pair of snails from a previous tank, so when Kreacher moved in, he was immediately used to them. He pecked at them a few times but that was it. Now it seems like he has latched onto one of the snails. When the snail is close to the surface of the water, Kreacher rests on him. When the snail sleeps at the bottom of the tank, Kreacher is usually nearby, either keeping watch or sleeping on top of the snail. This morning, Kreacher woke up before the snail and bumped into its shell a few times to wake it up. Is this normal? Is Kreacher being territorial or friendly?
lesliealaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #2 
babystarz

It's only the one snail he follows around? That's kind of funny haha! Male bettas rarely intend to be friendly with their tankmates, but it's possible that Kreacher sees the snail as his portable couch :P As long as he's not trying to take bites out of the snail he's probably fine. I have some bettas that will kill snails on sight, and others who don't pay any attention to them.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #3 
lesliealaine

Yeah, it's always the same snail! Haha. I've only seen Kreacher try to bite the snails a handful of times when he first moved into the tank. He ignores one entirely and then follows the other around. I never thought of it as his portable couch though. I suppose that would make sense to a betta brain. =P
lesliealaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #4 
OrangeAugust

AAH! That's so cute!

My betta attacked my mystery snail and it died a week later.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote