Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #1 
Originalnuniqe

Help my new betta

Hi, we just bought a betta and named him "milo" I did no prior research on betta's before & just went by what the petco worker told me to buy. Please help me with what Milo needs to help him be a happy & healthy fish.
Attached Images

Originalnuniqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #2 
LadyVictorian

First off a bigger tank would be benifical to him, the one he is in is too small. 2.5 is the minimum for betta's. Also betta are tropical fish and need heaters. The temp for the water must be between 78 to 84 degrees. Also betta's can easily get stressed out so silk plants are a must so they can take cover. You also need water conditioner and a cleaning routine. If you get a 2.5 gallon tank then the tank needs 2 50% water changes and one 100% water change per week. This tank is smaller so I would say if you stick with it you'll need 50% water change almost daily to keep ammonia down and every three days a 100% You would also still have to get a heater for your betta even in that tank as they get ill easily in cold water.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #3 
megaredize

he is a cutie and as cute as his bowl is you might wanna get a bigger tank for him. he will need a heater and it is hard to heat smaller volumes of water. i cant tell how many gallons this is but a lot of people say 2.5 gallons is the minimum. you can do 1 gallon but it still needs to be heated. critter keepers are great for bettas because they also have lid. bettas are known to jump tank. you didnt state what kind of food you got for him but bettas usually like pellets more than flakes and the pellets are healthier for them. some good foods are new life spectrum betta formula, omega one betta buffet and i fed the HBH betta pellet before i switched to new life spectrum and my fish liked it and it's pretty good.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #4 
Originalnuniqe

Thank you very much! I'm looking for bigger tank now. Until I started reading this thread I had no idea all the information the worker told me was wrong. For now how can I keep him warm? I changed his tank to the window to get sunlight for now until I can run to buy him a heater.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

First thing he needs is a heater cause Betta are tropical fish so his water temp neeed to be at the least 76 degrees with the best being 79 to 82. Water changes with a water conditioner are also very important, how much water does your bowl hold ? We can decide on the amount of water changes you need each week when we find out the amount.

Milo is very pretty and happ y to see he has a cave and some plants but be careful with the yellow and orange one as it looks like it could rip his fins. You can do the nylon test on that or any decoration you buy for him. Take a pair of pantyhose and run the plant over it and it is can rip te pantyhose it can rip his fins.

What are you going to feed him ? Betta pellets are great and give 3 in the morning and 3 at night and see how he does with that making sure his tummy does not get bloated as Bettas can have issues with getting bloated so do not over feed him.

Good luck and best of wishes for you and your new guy !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #6 
LadyVictorian

wallmart has heaters for $14 that work in smaller tanks. If you can run out for it soon then that would be a great place.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #7 
Originalnuniqe

I got him pellets. At least I got that information correct from the worker. I actually had this bowl prior. the worker was trying to get me a little small one and it was like 50% smaller then this one. I'm glad I didn't listen
Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #8 
LadyVictorian

People at petshops seldom know anything about betta other than the myths they were raised on. I know the guy who helped me out one day was trying to convince me betta's rarely needed their tanks cleaned and could live in small boxes with water and nothing else (no plants, rocks, shelter) I laughed and said I have owned betta's and told him what they needed. Hopefully he will give others the right information now.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #9 
Originalnuniqe

Ok,just searched and its a 1.75 gallon tank
Old 10-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #10 
Originalnuniqe

For now what can I use for a lid so he won't jump ?