Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #1 
LadyVictorian

Should I Get Another?

I have been very depressed lately to the point I have spent most of my days locked in my closet crying and I wondered if I got another fish and had two fish to care for would it help or do you think it would only make it worse? For anyone with fish can I get an opinion? Do more fish help with your depression or hurt you because of the extra stress of caring for them?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #2 
registereduser

Do you see a doctor or therapist for your depression? It sounds pretty bad, maybe you need meds or different meds? You definitely need light, do you have one of those light therapy boxes? The days are getting shorter and that makes everyone a little bit sadder.

If you get another fish will you physically be able to care for it?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #3 
dragonscalecrowntail02

Red face :(

I'm so sorry to hear that you are feeling so sad lately, and a therapist would definitely better your quality of life (speaking from personal experience). If you feel that a little extra love from an aquatic friend would do you some good, go right on ahead. As long as you can provide the love and care he/she needs, then it would return the favor!
dragonscalecrowntail02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #4 
twolovers101

I have similar bouts of depression and I can go up to a week feeling down with random bits of crying in between, it frustrates the crud out of me...

Something I do (instead of impulse buying... which I kind of did tonight... beautiful red/white butterfly that I decided to give to the fiance for his birthday) is carry a small stuffed animal around with me... sound's odd I know, seeing as I'm 22 lol but it does help.

I also just like to go window shopping or just walking around (candy helps sometimes too)

If you really think a second fish would help, go for it, but make sure that you really have a connection with him/her before you buy or else you just wind up kinda "meh" about the whole thing, which may or may not worsen the situation.

Also, if you have a special tea or drink that you enjoy and really happy kind of disney-like movies, a nice way to calm down is just sitting there for a few hours sipping on hot tea and enjoying the movie (my favorite teas are jasmine and camomile)

Hope you feel better soon!!! <3
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

As others have said, I think another betta could help but make sure that the extra water changes and everything don't stress you out more.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #6 
LadyVictorian

I use to see a therapist when I lived in Minnesota and we talked about medication but I refused and since I was doing pretty good with him he didn't push the subject. I just moved to Texas now about three weeks ago and have been pretty lonely despite living with my bandmates which was why I got my first fish before my parents left. Something to belong here with me and not remind me of Minnesota. However I don't have a therapist here yet and didn't really consider it since I knew I would be busy. Not sure about light since Texas always seem to get more sun than Minnesota but I also take pills for the vitamins you get from being in the sun. Not really a cure but my grandma gave them to me before I moved. I use to take ativan but for my anxiety and I ran out a few weeks back, I think before I moved even but didn't bother getting a refill.

I'm not sure about physically being able to care for it. So far I still take care of Aquarius my first fish and in fact when I am concentrated on his care I can really say it's the only time I am not beating myself down or thinking negative thoughts which make my depression worse. Then again I am not at my worst and last time I was at my worst was three years ago and I still forced myself to care for my mice because it's my job. When I care for my rats I am not so relaxed because often times they cause a lot of trouble and break things which stresses me out and only makes me cry more. I figured if time with Aquarius makes me calm for a short time with two fish that would double the time I am calm.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #7 
twolovers101

It seems to me that getting a second would be beneficial to you , just be careful so you don't get overwhelmed of course :)

You may also try something new fish wise like doing a small npt for your new friend

Sorry about the possibly weird advice/suggestions/whatever please ignore me if you like, just trying to help :D
Old 09-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #8 
LadyVictorian

I have a 20 and 10 gallon tank I wanted to put a bunch of plants in or buy a 2.5 gallon but those are harder to cycle and can't add anything but the fish. I have so many tanks though I want to do things with and I know even just researching plants and fish to keep with betta and researching betta themselves gets my mind off the bad things that have been leaking into my brain.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:52 AM   #9 
twolovers101

Then honestly, I say go for it. Especially since doing things that involve bettas seem to be a good tonic, you could even use this opportunity to learn something new, like planting a tank or whatever.

(Without trying to overstep my bounds, discussions are so difficult through typed words) You may even be able to think of your depressive bouts as times that you really get to learn more about your fish and tanks or anything that really helps keep you calm/relaxed.

I dunno call me an optimist but if anything helps (for me at least) it's usually the simplest things like your tank, or for me a cup of tea and a teddy bear xD
Old 09-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #10 
LadyVictorian

I have a teddy bear with me too Henry since my cats back in MN.

I have also been looking into brine shrimp care so I can raise them for my betta. Also partially as pets. I use to have them when I was younger.