Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #11 
twolovers101

Oooh brine shrimp sound like a fun idea too :D And I'm sure Aquarius would love the tasty snacks lol

(on a side note, Within Temptation is awesome)
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #12 
LadyVictorian

I bet he would LOVE that side hobby. And I loved that song the first time a heard it. It was ironic then too that his tanks brand name is also Aquarius. I didn't find that out until about a week ago and almost died laughing at how ironic it was.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #13 
twolovers101

The thing about his tank and name are kind of funny and ironic XD

Sounds like brine shrimp may be your path to relaxation ^.^
Old 09-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #14 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I have been very depressed lately to the point I have spent most of my days locked in my closet crying and I wondered if I got another fish and had two fish to care for would it help or do you think it would only make it worse? For anyone with fish can I get an opinion? Do more fish help with your depression or hurt you because of the extra stress of caring for them?
I have depression and over the summer I was finding myself feeling unmotivated to do anything but mope on the couch. Then I got Junior. He is my first fish and I have found that caring for him was my escape from feeling depressed. Also, watching him was a fun thing to do that got my mood up whenever I didn't feel like doing anything. Fish keeping has helped my depression for sure. That's my experience!
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #15 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolovers101 View Post
I have similar bouts of depression and I can go up to a week feeling down with random bits of crying in between, it frustrates the crud out of me...

Something I do (instead of impulse buying... which I kind of did tonight... beautiful red/white butterfly that I decided to give to the fiance for his birthday) is carry a small stuffed animal around with me... sound's odd I know, seeing as I'm 22 lol but it does help.

I also just like to go window shopping or just walking around (candy helps sometimes too)

If you really think a second fish would help, go for it, but make sure that you really have a connection with him/her before you buy or else you just wind up kinda "meh" about the whole thing, which may or may not worsen the situation.

Also, if you have a special tea or drink that you enjoy and really happy kind of disney-like movies, a nice way to calm down is just sitting there for a few hours sipping on hot tea and enjoying the movie (my favorite teas are jasmine and camomile)

Hope you feel better soon!!! <3
Carrying a stuffed animal around? How fun! I may have to try that. Anything that makes me randomly smile (like a sweet text message from my Mom, seeing my fish do something cute, seeing a stuffed animal in my backpack whenever I reach to get a pencil , etc) usually helps my depression.

I also enjoy hot drinks to calm down (ice cream is my favorite comfort food, though! Yogurt is great, too). And things that remind me of my childhood (like Disney movies).

When I was younger, I would carry around a notebook that was only for doodling. Whenever I felt overwhelmed or worried, I would pull out a pen and start drawing.

Can't think of any of my other "depression remedies" right now... I should get a light, too. They have small ones for desks on Amazon. My mom has one that she uses and we call it "Happy Light"!
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #16 
twolovers101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
Carrying a stuffed animal around? How fun! I may have to try that. Anything that makes me randomly smile (like a sweet text message from my Mom, seeing my fish do something cute, seeing a stuffed animal in my backpack whenever I reach to get a pencil , etc) usually helps my depression.

I also enjoy hot drinks to calm down (ice cream is my favorite comfort food, though! Yogurt is great, too). And things that remind me of my childhood (like Disney movies).

When I was younger, I would carry around a notebook that was only for doodling. Whenever I felt overwhelmed or worried, I would pull out a pen and start drawing.

Can't think of any of my other "depression remedies" right now... I should get a light, too. They have small ones for desks on Amazon. My mom has one that she uses and we call it "Happy Light"!
Yeah I have a small fuzzy purple and black panda bear with a red heart that I carry with me to my classes if I'm having a sad day... xD

Also, I've found that lighting candles before bed helps me calm down and relax, and results in overall happy feelings :D
Old 09-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #17 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolovers101 View Post
Also, I've found that lighting candles before bed helps me calm down and relax, and results in overall happy feelings :D
Me, too :) It's a weird random thing that you wouldn't think would make much difference, but it does! I feel and sleep so much better when my room is all lit up with candles.

Lady, I'm sorry you're feeling down I say yes, get the fish and/or the shrimps.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #18 
ktlelia

I'm so sorry to hear about your sadness :(

I say get another fish and or the shrimps- it would make you happy. :)

Honestly, the main reason why I got back into bettas over this summer was because I hit some deep depression. I won't go over details about my personal issues, but I do know that I changed in a good way. I was much happier, which helped me go on forth and figure out how to fix other issues in my life.
ktlelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #19 
RedRaz

I'm sorry Lady you are feeling down. Moving to a new place is tough. I feel when a lot has changed in my life I need something to ground me and make me feel at peace. I read a lot, meditate, have house plants and care for my animals. I say try a new betta or new aquatic animal. Dwarf clawed frogs can be fun. I even like snails. They make me laugh. :) Try to find someone to talk to about how you feel as well. Venting can relieve some of these feelings. (((hugs)))
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #20 
LadyVictorian

I just found it ironic that lately I have had an obsession with drowning and the animal that might pull me out of my depression is a fish. I guess they are my version of a mermaid minus the beautiful woman top half. I like their faces as they are anyways.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote