Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #1 
Bettanewbie60

Bali died, now Bandit not eating and lethargic

Omgosh, I can't go through this two days in a row..Bali died so fast. I just did a 50% water change in the tank just now, and put a new filter cartridge in yesterday after Bali passed away...I still don't know what Bali died from, and I'm freakin' out. What if it is TB? I got some of the water in my mouth changing it out! I hate not knowing what I am dealing with..it leaves me clueless on how to treat, and what to do about the tank. It is planted, and all of the plants are doing well.
There are some snails in there, but these wouldn't make them sick would they? They have been in there for a while, and came from another tank of healthy fish? I am at a total loss as to what to do..all the treatment I tried for Bali failed. I guess I'm just gonna keep watching Bandit, and maybe make another water change later today...I don't know. I'm going to do a water change on my new 10g planted now for Bejiro and Bayou...sigh.

Last edited by Bettanewbie60; 09-25-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #2 
Sowman

what are the water conditions(ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates)? Changing the filter can drastically change the water conditions and start a mini cycle. I know because that just happens to me and the ammonia spike nearly killed my little guy. I pulled him out and put him in a QT with cycled water from another tank.
Sowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowman View Post
what are the water conditions(ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates)? Changing the filter can drastically change the water conditions and start a mini cycle. I know because that just happens to me and the ammonia spike nearly killed my little guy. I pulled him out and put him in a QT with cycled water from another tank.
I had the water tested yesterday, and ammonia was at .25, but we had just moved the tank a few days before and had to remove 90% of the water to move it..nitrites and nitrates were at zero. The tank is a gravel based, planted tank...and I just did the 50% change to make sure the ammonia is not building..I don't have my own test kit yet, so I'll take another sample down to the pet store in a little while. I feel so stupid for moving the tank, but I wanted them all in the same room, and the warmest room for winter...I have heaters, but haven't had to use them yet..it's 85 here today. Anyway, I still don't know. Oh, and the filter media I had in there was just the cotton stuff, no carbon..and it smelled MOLDY! That is why I changed the filter..and put a new one in with the carbon in it...I was so confused about filters when I planted this tank..so many different opinions, and I thought the carbon was a no no. sigh..
Old 09-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #4 
Sowman

I have a feeling that you may have had an ammonia spike and maybe that's whats effecting your fish. Keep up the water changes and get a test kit (the liquid kind, not the strips). Are you using conditioner in your water? You may want to test the water before adding it to the tank to make sure there is nothing wrong with your tap water.

If you just added the carbon filter then the tank is most likely going to start cycling. Ammonia of .25 isn't too bad, you may want to put him in a QT with either nice clean water or good cycled water from another tank.
Sowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #5 
babystarz

I'd QT him, just until the tank has stabilized.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #6 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowman View Post
I have a feeling that you may have had an ammonia spike and maybe that's whats effecting your fish. Keep up the water changes and get a test kit (the liquid kind, not the strips). Are you using conditioner in your water? You may want to test the water before adding it to the tank to make sure there is nothing wrong with your tap water.

If you just added the carbon filter then the tank is most likely going to start cycling. Ammonia of .25 isn't too bad, you may want to put him in a QT with either nice clean water or good cycled water from another tank.
Yeah, OFL said it may have been an ammonia spike also, but as you said .25 would not have been deadly. I can't afford the liquid test kit yet, but I'm working on it..just found it on sale at my lfs, so maybe this weekend. We lost a third of our income when hubby got laid off..even working two jobs right now, we are struggling. I am hoping to get a job this week, I have two possible leads, so that will help. In the meantime I have to do the best I can for these guys. I did a 50% water change today, and will do one every day for the next couple of days. He is acting a bit more active than Bali did, so I'm hoping that the ammonia is what we were dealing with..we'll see. I really don't want to stress him with a move right now. If he has whatever killed Bali, other than a possible ammonia spike, then the stress would not help. Thanks for all your help...much appreciated!