Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #1 
jCo72

hole in head disease?? pls help...

Hi guys.. again. I feel like all I ever do on this forum is post in this section. My betta seems like he's just getting worse. This post is fairly long so please stick with me...

The last time I posted it was about his tail. People suggested he was biting his tail and I never saw him bite his tail until a few days ago. Now its so bad that there are pieces of his tail all over his tank. I've cleaned it twice in 4 days and there are more pieces now. I had him for months and it had never been this bad until a few weeks ago. Now his tail is absolutely horrible and I've tried everything I can think of. Initially he was in a 10 gallon with a lot of open space so I moved him back to his 5 gallon I originally had him in. There's a lot less open space and I sit with him and try and play for a long time during the day but nothing seems to stop his tail biting. And sadly that just seems to be part of the problem...

If anyone knows my posts, you would have seen my fish changing color. He has gone half-white with his back half still being blue. I never figured out what this was from but today his mood has severely changed. He swims frantically around the tank and then goes to the bottom and lays there. He'll swim like crazy up to the top to get air and then swim like crazy down to the bottom to lay. I don't get it... he's not sinking and he's not having a hard time swimming... he's just going crazy when he swims around.

He also hasn't been eating like he usually does and swims away from his food, lets it fall past him, or spits it out.

Lastly, I noticed some black spots on his head two days ago. They seemed fine until I looked at them just now. They are, in my opinion, definitely holes. When I look at them from above they look more like dots but from the side they look like holes.

Currently I'm just so upset. I feel like he's always sick or something is always happening to him and I have tried so hard to do right by him. I researched so much before I bought him and I feel like it's just one thing after another. I don't know what to do and this is turning me off from keeping bettas to be honest. It's just because I do care for him and I want him to be happy and healthy and I just don't feel like hes ever been healthy and it sucks so much... I feel like its all my fault... I have no idea what is wrong with him and I'm really starting to think that he isn't a marble betta. He just seems so unhappy and I don't know what to do for him to make him better.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 82.2 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? there is a heater but it is currently off because my house is so hot...
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? two small snails that hitched a ride on some plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? new life spectrum
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2/day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1/week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stress coat+

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? haven't tested because I just did a water change two days ago

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? turning white, chewed off fins, spots on head
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? sometimes laying on the bottom of the tank, swimming around frantically, tail biting
When did you start noticing the symptoms? tail biting - a few weeks ago, everything else - a few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? moved to a smaller tank to try and stop tail biting... didn't work
Does your fish have any history of being ill? long history of changing white... started maybe 1.5-2 months ago
How old is your fish (approximately)? ~7 months old
Attached Images

jCo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #2 
jeremywadejunior

How long have you had him? Don't worry, a lot of fish tail bite and it's not your fault.
As for the hole in head disease, I'm not so sure. Is he a dragonscale? Mine is and those "holes" appear on him too. (I'm a paranoid fish parent so I thought he had it, too, but I got advise and realized that he is normal). They appear on dragon scale bettas, I'm not sure why.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #3 
jCo72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
How long have you had him? Don't worry, a lot of fish tail bite and it's not your fault.
As for the hole in head disease, I'm not so sure. Is he a dragonscale? Mine is and those "holes" appear on him too. (I'm a paranoid fish parent so I thought he had it, too, but I got advise and realized that he is normal). They appear on dragon scale bettas, I'm not sure why.
Someone suggested at one point that he was a dragon scale because he has scales growing over his eyes. I honestly don't know how to tell other than that though...

I've had him for about 6 or 7 months so I know hes at least that old.

EDIT: I'm worried about the appearance on his head in addition to the tail biting and the change in behavior today. I just feel like something is wrong and all of these symptoms are connected. Maybe I am overreacting?? It just doesn't seem right and I would feel horrible ignoring all the signs...

Last edited by jCo72; 09-24-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #4 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCo72 View Post
Someone suggested at one point that he was a dragon scale because he has scales growing over his eyes. I honestly don't know how to tell other than that though...

I've had him for about 6 or 7 months so I know hes at least that old.
I can't see his body well in the photos, but does his body shine/ look metallic? He does appear to have iridescence growing on his eyes which is common with dragon scales. He is probably partly blind from this, which could be what is causing him to not eat normally...

I'm convinced that the spots on his head aren't a problem. But you haven't noticed them before?
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #5 
Mahachai

When did the second snail move in?
Mahachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #6 
jCo72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
I can't see his body well in the photos, but does his body shine/ look metallic? He does appear to have iridescence growing on his eyes which is common with dragon scales. He is probably partly blind from this, which could be what is causing him to not eat normally...

I'm convinced that the spots on his head aren't a problem. But you haven't noticed them before?
Here's a link to the better pictures of his body...

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=110341

here is a better picture of his body recently though...

Name:  body.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  39.3 KB

**I did look up pictures of a dragon scale and he looks similar in my opinion but its still hard for me to tell.. he's my first and only betta so the way he looks is normal to me, haha

He has had the problem with his eyes for a while and it never seemed to bother his eating habits. He did have a better appetite for his dinner tonight so that was good.

His spots started showing up not too long ago. I did notice them before (as seen in the picture above) but they didn't really look like holes until a few days ago. I've been spending a lot of time by his tank lately because of his tail biting so I've been watching him fairly closely...
Old 09-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #7 
Mahachai

Well anyway, maybe it's vitiligo? I know that other animals like humans can develop vitiligo. You seem to value him more than the money you're spending. I suggest you should find a veternarian specializing in fish diseases or a veterinary school to diagnose and see what's really happnening. Pet store people won't know anything if you ask because they're not a pathologist.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #8 
jCo72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahachai View Post
When did the second snail move in?
I bought live plants about a month and a half ago and put them in a quarantine tank for almost two weeks. There didn't seem to be anything that came with them but I was wrong. Here's a timeline to make it easier...

8/2/12: bought live plants (put in quarantine in a different tank than my betta)
8/5/12: my betta began to change colors
8/20/12: moved my betta into new 10 gallon tank with live plants from his 5 gallon tank
9/11/12: noticed 2 small snails
Old 09-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #9 
Mahachai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCo72 View Post
I bought live plants about a month and a half ago and put them in a quarantine tank for almost two weeks. There didn't seem to be anything that came with them but I was wrong. Here's a timeline to make it easier...

8/2/12: bought live plants (put in quarantine in a different tank than my betta)
8/5/12: my betta began to change colors
8/20/12: moved my betta into new 10 gallon tank with live plants from his 5 gallon tank
9/11/12: noticed 2 small snails
I just asked because snails can bring in dangerous parasites/protozoans.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #10 
jCo72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahachai View Post
Well anyway, maybe it's vitiligo? I know that other animals like humans can develop vitiligo. You seem to value him more than the money you're spending. I suggest you should find a veternarian specializing in fish diseases or a veterinary school to diagnose and see what's really happnening. Pet store people won't know anything if you ask because they're not a pathologist.
I would like to take him in to a place if I could but we don't have a vet school in my town and I don't know of any vets specializing in fish diseases. I'll have to google it tomorrow to double check. I never thought of vitiligo because I didn't even think that fish could get it... some people have told me that his color change looks like its because something is wrong and others say he's just a marble but it doesn't look normal to me. I'm guessing you also don't think its normal?