Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #1 
crowntaillove

Clamped fins, floating verticle

this is regarding the same male I posted about a while back that had ragged fins for no apparent reason.

I got up this morning and noticed he was just sitting on the bottom of his tank with clamped fins. He has never acted this way since I've gotten him, not even when he first came home from the pet store. I immediately isolated him in a 1/2 gallon (I'm sorry, but that's the only sized hospital tank I have right now) This is when he started sitting at the bottom of the tank vertically. It's like he's possessed. He swims up for air, and then floats back down. He was okay last night.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons divided (in the 1/2 gallon hospital now)
What temperature is your tank? 79-80
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? What tank mates does your betta fish live with? yes, another betta.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish 2-3 times a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every 2-3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? amquel, stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? clamped fins and swimming vertically
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he's not swimming around like normal, he's just sitting at the bottom
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this morning when I got up
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I separated him from his tank mate, who seems fine.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? a mystery case of ragged fins
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not sure.

Here is a picture in case it helps:

(I'm sorry the picture is sideways, I can't get it to rotate)
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #2 
Mahachai

Poor guy. I am not sure but my guess is swim bladder disorder. I hope this link would be some help. http://nippyfish.net/2007/01/15/leth...ng-vertically/ Hope he gets better.
Mahachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #3 
babystarz

I have no idea what might be going on with him other than possibly swim bladder problems, but I hope he gets well!
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #4 
crowntaillove

I guess it could be something with his swim bladder. He doesn't have a bloated stomach though. When he does swim, he seems to have fine control over his body. I THINK his fins are starting to turn clear. I know that is supposed to mean regrowth, but to my knowledge he's never had any rips or tears. He's sitting around stiff as a board, then the next time I'll look over he'll be swimming okay with his fins clamped. :/
Old 09-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #5 
crowntaillove

He just did something that scared me...
He had just gotten a gulp of air, and went back to floating vertical, when he started flareing and a whole bunch of bubbles came out of his gills. It was more scary than it sounds. It was like he was choking, or something... Sometimes he gets the spastic movements, where he'll just completely flip or jerk or other weird things. Could this be parasites or something else than swim bladder, or am I just over reacting? He's floating vertical from the top of the water, and I read something on yahoo answers about the vertical hang of death...please tell me that was a load of bull... Hank's my favorite little guy. :[
Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #6 
crowntaillove

i'm pretty sure it's fungus related. I don't know how I missed it...I spend a good half hour or more a day looking at my fish. :/ sure enough, i found 2 cottony fluffs on his fins, I tried to suck them off with a turkey baster. I added some fungus treatment to his hospital tank and his former tank.
He likes when I sit with him, he swims over and looks at me and when I leave he goes back to hanging vertical. The ends of his fins are definately turning clear.

I don't know what to do. Someone, Anyone, PLEASE help! If my fish is going to die, I at least want to try to stop it or know what is causing it...