Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #11 
sarahspins
Member
 
sarahspins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishyman View Post
If you can't let the tank do its thing it will never cycle. Almost seems like you got a bit of Obsessive compulsiveness. If you do have a thing about things being clean this is not the right hobby for you.
Um, wow.

I've done basically nothing to my tank other than adding some plants and doing water changes as the ammonia gets high... I haven't rinsed any part of the filter, and my cycle is taking every bit as long as hers is. I don't think one needs to suffer from OCD or be accused of it just because they have a tank that takes a while to cycle... sometimes it just takes longer for the bacteria to fall out of the sky :)

I'm at 3 weeks and a day with my tank and I finally got a nitrAte reading today. I've yet to see any hint of nitrItes in this tank so I was shocked to see nitrAtes when I tested. I did a 75% water change yesterday because my ammonia was getting high but there were no nitrites or nitrates when I tested before the WC.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #12 
goldfishyman
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
Um, wow.

I've done basically nothing to my tank other than adding some plants and doing water changes as the ammonia gets high... I haven't rinsed any part of the filter, and my cycle is taking every bit as long as hers is. I don't think one needs to suffer from OCD or be accused of it just because they have a tank that takes a while to cycle... sometimes it just takes longer for the bacteria to fall out of the sky :)

I'm at 3 weeks and a day with my tank and I finally got a nitrAte reading today. I've yet to see any hint of nitrItes in this tank so I was shocked to see nitrAtes when I tested. I did a 75% water change yesterday because my ammonia was getting high but there were no nitrites or nitrates when I tested before the WC.
It was partially a joke but if the OP does have an obsession with cleaning then in all seriousness the fish will not last long because the tank will never cycle. I never mentioned OCD. Some people are just clean freaks. I have heard of people that will boil their gravel each water change. You cannot have a spotless tank and be successful. You will never see these conditions in nature.

You have nitrates that means your beneficial bacteria for nitrites developed at the same rate as your nitrites are produced. This is why you see no nitrates. The most likely cause is the ammonia to nitrite conversion is very weak. Check your PH. 7.6 will allow for both bacteria to grow. To high or too low in either direction will slow the reproductive rate. One bacteria will like the low PH but the other will go into hibernation. The other will like high PH but then the other bacteria will go into hibernation. The problem could arise that the bacteria you do have will die off due to starvation if more bacteria do not develop to produce nitrite.

On the flip side you could have gotten very lucky and your tank is almost done cycling. Not easy to determine since you did not give any readings for the ammonia and nitrate levels.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #13 
LadyVictorian
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
???? Goldfishyman first off I gave readings for everything...stated my PH is at a level 7.6...perhaps reading the first post would be beneficial for you?

I state there is a reading of 0 for nitrite and nitrate, .25 for ammonia, and already stated 7.6. Reading is something we learn at a young age and you find it wasn't a waste of time to learn it either. It can help you a lot and I think you may find it betters your statements before you write something up and not understanding anything because you only glanced at what was originally posted without taking in any of the valuable details and information. Critical writing classes can help you with this.

Also I have kept fish in the past, even betta and I kept them in uncycled tanks for seven years so I think this is more than a fine hobby for me if you call it a hobby and honestly it's not. ANIMALS in general should NOT be a hobby. They are pets, they are apart of your life, not something you pick up for the fun of it. Also I DO have real diagnosed OCD thank you very much which has nothing to do with being overly clean. It has to do with having compulsive behaviors that deal with obsessive thought processes. You might want to watch what you say and to whom you say it to or you might find yourself pissing people off.

NOW on that note

I did get some safestar and put it in my tank so hopefully I'll start getting some nitrite readings. I'm just really going for that right now. If I get that I'll sleep better at night.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 09-27-2012 at 06:12 PM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #14 
sarahspins
Member
 
sarahspins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishyman View Post
On the flip side you could have gotten very lucky and your tank is almost done cycling. Not easy to determine since you did not give any readings for the ammonia and nitrate levels.
My pH has been steady at 7.6, and I've been doing water changes when my ammonia gets close to (or over) .5ppm - within a couple of days it's usually over .25 and I've been doing water changes about every 3 days (except last week when I was sick, the tank went 5 days). Nitrites have consistently been 0 in this tank.

This is a 6.6 gallon tank with 4 very small male endlers and 2 ADF's, and about 20 Thiara Winteri (similar to MTS) to stir up the sand.

I have a plant only tank and a bucket that I'm also cycling using ammonia and they have shown nitrites (off the chart a few days ago), but there's been a much larger supply of ammonia available to the growing bacteria colonies :)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #15 
goldfishyman
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
???? Goldfishyman first off I gave readings for everything...stated my PH is at a level 7.6...perhaps reading the first post would be beneficial for you?

I state there is a reading of 0 for nitrite and nitrate, .25 for ammonia, and already stated 7.6. Reading is something we learn at a young age and you find it wasn't a waste of time to learn it either. It can help you a lot and I think you may find it betters your statements before you write something up and not understanding anything because you only glanced at what was originally posted without taking in any of the valuable details and information. Critical writing classes can help you with this.

Also I have kept fish in the past, even betta and I kept them in uncycled tanks for seven years so I think this is more than a fine hobby for me if you call it a hobby and honestly it's not. ANIMALS in general should NOT be a hobby. They are pets, they are apart of your life, not something you pick up for the fun of it. Also I DO have real diagnosed OCD thank you very much which has nothing to do with being overly clean. It has to do with having compulsive behaviors that deal with obsessive thought processes. You might want to watch what you say and to whom you say it to or you might find yourself pissing people off.

NOW on that note

I did get some safestar and put it in my tank so hopefully I'll start getting some nitrite readings. I'm just really going for that right now. If I get that I'll sleep better at night.
Look Hallyx and SarahSpins said OCD. I never said it till responding to their comments. I know what OCD is. I know it does not necessary involve being clean but it can be one of the many obsessions. I only said that you might be a bit obsessed with the tank being clean. Never meant to imply you had the disorder. Professional athletes can become obsessed with being better. Fish keeping can be an obsession. Just as some people might like things to be cleaner than others. These are not OCD behaviors just things a person maybe focused on more than other things in life.

Are people getting mad because I saw a hint of compulsive behavior and hinted it might be the problem? You admit to having OCD. People have it. I don't see the problem here. If you have it you have it. You asked what could be the problem with your tank. I gave you solutions. It felt as if you really didn't want to stop your procedures you setup even if it was contrary to advice given. That's why I mentioned it. Perhaps it would have been best to not have been straight forward and not addressed what I saw as being the main problem. I apologize. I just don't like to waste time and usually get straight to the point. It takes a far longer time to communicate via the internet versus in person or over the phone. For this reason I'm usually a bit blunt at times.

My intent was that if you can't leave the filter to do its thing you will not be successful in fish keeping. The fact that you have kept fish not just bettas for 7 years in an unfiltered tanks is perplexing. I would go into it more but I don't want to provoke more anger. However, if I had known these facts then perhaps I would have just worded it like this, "If you do have a problem with things being clean then your filter will never cycle."

For a person getting into fish keeping it would be frustrating if the filter never cycles and fish keep dying. If this same person continually disrupts the natural cycle and expects success it will be at the cost of a lot of fishes lives. Basically if you read it carefully without trying to incite a riot, right Hallyx, you can gleam from that previous statement as stop messing with mother nature. The part of this not being the right hobby was just added to make the statement stronger. Basically it meant if you really want to succeed, you need to stop the things that your doing wrong.

I used the word hobby because most people are unwilling to do what it takes to do the right thing for their fish. In this situation, they are not pets but a hobby. Your right, people should not treat fish like this.

As for the comments regarding the test reading. I quoted Sarahspins for a reason. I was responding to Sarahspins comments regarding seeing nitrates and no nitrites. I gave suggestions as to why this might have happened. The reason being is Sarahspins tank being left untouched and showing nitrates just recently but no nitrites at all is a totally different case than the problem your having. I gave suggestions to fix her problem. SarahSpins has nitrifying bacteria your tank does not because of the constant cleaning. SarahSpins tank may have conditions slowing down certain bacteria growth but is at least progressing. The two situations are totally different.

SarahSpins, your PH sounds about right. I need your nitrate reading to make any type of analysis. You could also adjust your temps to about 82*F to 86*F to speed things up. If no fish in the tank crank the heater all the way up and leave the top off the filter and tank.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #16 
sarahspins
Member
 
sarahspins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
My nitrates were 5ppm, I thought I had posted that but I may not have. Temp is at 78.. I didn't want to heat the occupants up too much :)

The bucket I am cycling my canister filter in is much warmer at 84˚ (and darker since I put a lid on the bucket) which I attribute to that one cycling faster (it's not done yet, it just made progress faster, but I only started it last week). The rest of my substrate will be here for my 55g tomorrow so I'll be moving the filter over once that is set up... I'm anxious to see how quickly the cycle completes since it's gotten a head start with the bucket + safe start + warmer water + dark.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #17 
LadyVictorian
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishyman View Post

Are people getting mad because I saw a hint of compulsive behavior and hinted it might be the problem? You admit to having OCD. People have it. I don't see the problem here. If you have it you have it. You asked what could be the problem with your tank. I gave you solutions. It felt as if you really didn't want to stop your procedures you setup even if it was contrary to advice given.
Umm again you need to read. After I was told I was over cleaning the tank I said okay.
Where did I EVER say I continued to do everything just the same? I DIDN'T. I change water 50% twice a week and vacuum once a week. The point you are trying to make is a bit flat considering you still don't have all the information and clearly didn't read this entire topic very carefully. I'm sorry for that but please reading everything is still beneficial to a conversation or you jump to conclusions and have misinformation.

Because you don't read through and don't really give helpful information I'm blocking you.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #18 
goldfishyman
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Umm again you need to read. After I was told I was over cleaning the tank I said okay.
Where did I EVER say I continued to do everything just the same? I DIDN'T. I change water 50% twice a week and vacuum once a week. The point you are trying to make is a bit flat considering you still don't have all the information and clearly didn't read this entire topic very carefully. I'm sorry for that but please reading everything is still beneficial to a conversation or you jump to conclusions and have misinformation.

Because you don't read through and don't really give helpful information I'm blocking you.
Thanks. You proved my point. I gave beneficial information and you just said I don't. You wrote "Also the reason I clean my walls and decor so often is because it all gets very slimy. Is this the bb or just fish gunk?" This is was the indicator for me that you wanted to clean the glass and decor. After 7 years of keeping fish you should have figured out this is normal. I doubt you have kept fish for 7 years.

Later you said "50% water change today, vacuum gravel, not cleaning decor or tank walls and leaving filter alone to see if anything improved from that." Here you may or may not have stopped over cleaning. The wording gave me the sense that you were not convinced the advice given was accurate. I sensed you are struggling to complete your scheduled cleaning procedure vs the given advice. Confirmed by the fact of your last statement "Because you don't read through and don't really give helpful information I'm blocking you."

Most people who say they are blocking do not because they can't wait to see what the other person is gonna say back in retort. I truly hope you are blocking me because I don't want to deal with your disorder if you can't take an apology. If you read this good luck. I will no longer respond to you.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #19 
twolovers101
Member
 
twolovers101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishyman View Post
Biochem stars seem to adhere beneficial bacteria better. I got nitrate readings in less than 2 weeks. Really you need to do less cleaning of your tank. You have been washing off the beneficial bacteria even by rinsing your filter in tank water in a bucket.Leave the filter alone unless your flow rate is slowing down a lot. If your using filter floss change to a sponge insert. Leave the slime on the glass its beneficial bacteria. Algae is green or brown even this is ok to leave on your glass as it will help with bio waste conversion.

If you can't let the tank do its thing it will never cycle. Almost seems like you got a bit of Obsessive compulsiveness. If you do have a thing about things being clean this is not the right hobby for you.
For the record, they did say "Obsessive compulsiveness" with or without the word "disorder" leads to the same thing... I agree it was very rude and inconsiderate

Back on topic, good luck with your cycle... my 3 gal started to cycle on me while I had Nova in it... scared the crud out of me because I was suddenly getting nitrite readings Dx

Hopefully things will go a bit more smoothly for you Lady :)
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #20 
goldfishyman
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
My nitrates were 5ppm, I thought I had posted that but I may not have. Temp is at 78.. I didn't want to heat the occupants up too much :)

The bucket I am cycling my canister filter in is much warmer at 84˚ (and darker since I put a lid on the bucket) which I attribute to that one cycling faster (it's not done yet, it just made progress faster, but I only started it last week). The rest of my substrate will be here for my 55g tomorrow so I'll be moving the filter over once that is set up... I'm anxious to see how quickly the cycle completes since it's gotten a head start with the bucket + safe start + warmer water + dark.

OK it makes sense why the bucket is further along, increased temps speed up the metabolism of the bacteria. Your nitrate 5 ppm in your tank is pretty low. Monitor it to see if it goes up. Also test your tap water to make sure there are no nitrates in your water, you could have a false positive on nitrates. If not you might be lucky and your getting closer to being fully cycled. Monitor your ammonia if it goes down even a little every day your beneficial bacteria is working. Depending on your fish you can probably slowly raise temps 2 degrees to speed things up a tad. I think your probably well on your way if there are no false positives from your tap water.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cycling a tank and need help! whoiam Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 21 02-28-2012 12:03 AM
Cycling the new tank SassyBetta Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 2 08-03-2011 06:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.