Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #21 
sarahspins

There are no nitrates in the tap, I've checked :) I know 5ppm isn't much, but it's the first reading I've gotten in that tank that wasn't 0, so it's still progress.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #22 
goldfishyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
There are no nitrates in the tap, I've checked :) I know 5ppm isn't much, but it's the first reading I've gotten in that tank that wasn't 0, so it's still progress.
Good to hear. One thing you can try is take some water from the bucket with nitrite depending on how high the levels are you might dilute it with some clean water and add it to your aquarium. The reason for this is that if your beneficial bacteria for nitrite to nitrate conversion are present then this nitrite should show when you test but should soon disappear and more nitrate will be present.

If your nitrites go back to zero and your nitrates increase then you know your have a the bacteria you need in your filter. Once your ammonia starts to go to zero you might get a spike in nitrites. You can probably help this along by adding a little of the nitrite water every couple of days to get it ready for the spike.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #23 
LadyVictorian

Today's readings after adding safestart to the water.

PH: 7.6
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 THOUGH it looks slightly darker yellow than usual but I know that just can't be possible without nitrite readings. Computer is glitching....gah. But yeah it's not dark enough to read on the next bar but darker than the 0 bar so that would be??? I am not sure. I double checked the test to see if I had done something wrong but it turned up the same. If this means I do have traces though it means the safestart is working even if just in the slightest. Still won't consider it beneficial until I can get good clear readings. Likely doing a 50% water change tomorrow since the ammonia is getting up there. Also tank is now at 78 rather than 80 because baby fish has the better heater in it's tank until the heater I order for it comes in.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #24 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Accuracy is not absolutely critical on nitrate tests. But, in order to ensure accuracy, you must shake the #2 nitrate bottle a lot...and then shake some more.

You can make life easier if you carefully pull the dropper part out of the bottle with pliers and drop in a pea-sized bead or small stone. You make a rattle-can out of it so mixing is easier and more thorough..
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #25 
LadyVictorian

Hallyx you were a BIG help, you were right the chemicals to test Nitrate were nto being shaken well enough. I guess I half assed the shaking for the second additive and it wasn't reading properly. Today when I tested the water I shook the hell out of it and quess what my reading was? 5.0 for Nitrate. I checked three more times and got a clear reading. I am sure the safestart I added helped a lot too. I still had a .25 ammonia reading though and 0 nitrite but I changed out 50% of the water and will check tomorrow to see what the nitrate levels are again. I think it's on the right track now, I just have to shake the second bottle better than I had been. Wow my panic for cycling this tank is over, I'm sitting pretty, now I just need to wait for it to finish cycling to where the ammonia levels are a lot less. Once that is stable I can go to the once a week tank cleaning woot...then it's cycling baby fishes tank but without baby fish in it. I want it fully cycled by the time Nix is old enough to move in so I'm starting that in a few days when Nix's 2.5 gallon gets in to me. I'll also have to pick up some ammonia to kickstart it but would a few dead shrimp work just as good?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #26 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT use dead shrimp. It's a smelly mess (really can get vile) and you have no control of how much ammonia is released nor how fast. If you're bent on a fishless cycle go through the trouble of getting "pure" ammonia (that does NOT foam when shaken) from ACE hardware or Dr Tim's on Amazon. BUT.....

Once your tank is cycled for a week or so, you'll have enough bacteria with which to seed your 2.5g. Take some gravel or up to half of your filter media and put it into the new filter. Introduce your fish and carefully monitor your parameters (in both tanks). Your seeded tank/filter will already be marginally cycled. All you're waiting for here is for your bacteria to multiply and for your cycle to mature and become well-established. As always, aeration is important.

Alternatively, if you have the time, you can run both filters in the cycled tank for a couple of weeks. This will establish a colony in the new filter.

I think it's important with a small tank to have plenty of filter foam for the bacteria to colonize. A couple of extra cubic inches placed in the filter or in the flow will encourage a stable cycle, one that won't break-down easily.

Now, with live bacteria available to you, you'll never have to go through that cycling stress again.

Once a week water changes are nice; just remember: a cycled tank is not for the convenience of the keeper, but for the health and safety of the fish. Check your water frequently.

Last edited by Hallyx; 09-28-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #27 
LadyVictorian

Oh that's right I can use the bb from my cycled tank to transport to a new one. I'll do that since it's much easier.

And I intend to still check water levels every week just not every day once the tank is cycled. Right now I check water levels in my large tank daily so I know when I have to change the water. Seems like it's starting to level out a little more but the ammonia levels still are not at 0 so hopefully next month it will be finished. Then I have to wait another month before I get shrimp. A friend of mine who is really into fish keeping breeds the more expensive shrimp and whenever i talk about being excited to get some he gives me the "YOUR TANK MUST BE FULLY CYCLED FOR A MONTH BEFORE YOU CAN HAVE SHRIMP. THEY WILL DIE." I haven't told him that the fish they would be living with is a betta which is why I am going for two ghost shrimp first to test if my betta will be aggressive or not with them.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #28 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Oh that's right I can use the bb from my cycled tank to transport to a new one. I'll do that since it's much easier.
LoL. Yeah, it's whole new outlook. Glad things are working out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
And I intend to still check water levels every week just not every day once the tank is cycled.
I do a half-check in the middle of the week, using a half-vial of water and half the drops of ammonia test fluid.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #29 
Tikibirds

Quote:
It was partially a joke but if the OP does have an obsession with cleaning then in all seriousness the fish will not last long because the tank will never cycle.
Not true. No one says you HAVE to cycle a 5 gallon tank. Mine isn't and Sluggles is doing just fine. Although if I ever get a free outlet in here - he is getting a filter.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote