Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #1 
lvandert

Career fair bust :'(

Ok so today was the career fair at my college. It's a time to get all dolled up, professional style, and go find an internship (or at least get in with some company). So I decided to go this year. Past years I've had classes all day or work but this year worked out so I went. I dolled myself up, got my professional business suit out and went in with a big smile and hopes. I had received an e-mail from my department head on which booths to look at, I was ready!

I came out about an hour later very disappointed. There were only a handful of options for us atmospheric sciences (meteorology) but there isn't that many of us around. I had 6 choices; graduate research (aka grad school), us navy, army and airforce, NASA and a random construction company.

Grad school is not an option for me at my current school so I didn't even look there.
I checked with the us army/navy airforce next (their lines were the smallest) and I basically was told that there are SOME positions available but at the moment all I can do is be recruited and be on "active duty". I didn't want to check there in the first place but I had to with so little choices. If I wanted to join the army I would have done it a long time ago, not now. The last time a recruiter "checked" me out I was too skinny anyways.
So off I went to the random construction company. I didn't know what they wanted with an ATMO but what the heck? Well I got up to the booth and was there long enough to introduce myself, say what I was and be pushed away. Apparently he "didn't get the memo" about offering internships to ATMO's. Well that was a long shot anyways.
So off I went to the last one. NASA. Now I wasn't looking to get an internship, nor was I looking for a job but a suggested pathway to get me into the company would have been nice. The guy I met with said he had a few other ATMO's come up but I'm guessing we all got the same spiel. "Well I don't know when we would be looking for a meteorologist but you can apply here and if you qualify we'll call." Once again and introduction and then pushed to the side.
To make matters worse I had to explain to EVERY booth what "atmospheric sciences" was, and the air force guy didn't under stand "meteorology" so for him I had to say "I study weather". I realize you aren't a tech student but at least know what majors you've signed up to have stop by your booth and "talk" to you. It was very insulting to have to explain my major to my so called "potential bosses".
So I sat outside on the steps with my few flyers (they give you other things like pens, journals, stress balls, etc if they are interested in you) with a hurt ego and sore feet.
I saw a few friends while outside and all of them had an interview tomorrow, a dinner with the boss, or a job offer, and the ones that didn't seemed to have made good friends with the people running the booths. I didn't even have that.

I'm happy for everyone else but it makes me feel like crap. To be pushed to the side because of my field of study was very hurtful. I'm honestly crying over it and I never cry. I'm not going to quit schooling or switch majors; weather is my passion, but I may add to it. I've been toying with the idea of a mathematical minor, and then getting an associates in teaching. At least then I have the option of teaching math to k-12...
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #2 
eaturbyfill

I think you should stick to your passion.

It's not your fault at all that the people you needed to see weren't there.
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I feel your pain. I have/had silmilar experiences when I told people what my major was and then I ALWAYS the "why are you wasting your time" look, especially when I tell them there is no way in hell I am ever teaching...

if I wanted to teach I would of majored in education NOT history.
History itself is not a marketable skill but being able to write, research and analyze all are. It's not really the major that's important - its the skills you learn while in that major that you want to showcase. Next time - tell them about your...whatever it is you science people are good at...math skills, computer programing, lab work, ect. My boyfriend has a PHd in space physics and is currently unemployed *grumbles* BUT the jobs he did have, he got them because of the high level of programming and computer skills he used as a graduate student and none of them had a damn thing to do with whatever it is he studied (seriously, I don;t even know - other then it involved the northern lights)...

On a side note, when I was a junior in high school they had a career fair at the community college. I went over to the army guy only because I wanted their free pen. Next thing I know the guy shows up AT MY HOUSE and wisks me away to take the ASVAB (military entrance exam). This was in '96

I would be pretty bummed too if my friends all got interiews and all I got was a crappy pen.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 09-26-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #4 
Freyja
Banned

Why is Grad school not an option?
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #5 
RedRaz

I so understand what you are going through. Well I say if meteorology is your passion then go for it. You only live once so I say you should do what you love. Like you said just add to it and minor in something you can fall back on just in case.

I leave you with this quote from one of my fav screen writers/directors:

Passion, it lies in all of us, sleeping… waiting… and though unwanted… unbidden… it will stir… open its jaws and howl. It speaks to us… guides us… passion rules us all, and we obey. What other choice do we have? Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love… the clarity of hatred… and the ecstasy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion maybe we’d know some kind of peace… but we would be hollow… Empty rooms shuttered and dank. Without passion we’d be truly dead.”
– Joss Whedon
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #6 
lvandert

I didn't even get a crappy pen :(

Grad school is an option just not at this school. Once I get my bachelors (unless something comes up) we're moving to Chicago. The bf wants to get a masters in Architecture to go with his masters in Civil engineering. I figured if I really wanted to teach and it became an option I would pursue that there.

Thanks everyone. I needed some support.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #7 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
I didn't even get a crappy pen :(

Grad school is an option just not at this school. Once I get my bachelors (unless something comes up) we're moving to Chicago. The bf wants to get a masters in Architecture to go with his masters in Civil engineering. I figured if I really wanted to teach and it became an option I would pursue that there.

Thanks everyone. I needed some support.
Hey then we would be neighbors! Chicago is a great city. I have lived here all my life. Well good luck on everything. Keep us updated.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #8 
lvandert

My sister has now taken to insulting and putting me down vs encouraging me. I posted my opinions on my facebook and her response was "well now your never going to get a job. insult the government, no job for you!". People wonder why I get my support from everyone BUT my family. You know I keep expecting different from them and every time I get hurt because I get the exact opposite...
Old 09-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

*hugs*

I don't even bother telling my mother or sister ANYTHING. They are both so negative. And people wonder why I stayed in alaska for 12 years...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:56 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

lvandert, I'm so sorry. I can't believe that one dude didn't know what meteorology was. lol I say stick with your passion. Something will turn up for you.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote