So about a week ago I bought 3 betta fish from PetLand, And the male I got; Kuro, was dead the next morning, But, my females; Kira and Cleoh, were perfectly fine, and the pet store clerk put all three, one male, two female in the same bag! And the bag was rather small, anyways today I got a new fish about 3 hours ago, I bleached out the bowl and the rocks with the tree, and I couldnt smell any bleach. I spent about 10 minutes being sure, I toke water from my females, and some water I left standing for a while, I let his bag sit in the water so he wouldnt be shocked by the water change for 30-40 minutes, But when I put him in, he got all exited and flared his gills, Ten minutes later he was slowly gliding along the sides and bottom of the bowl, and now hes not moving at all, even when i pick the bowl up. I'm pretty sure he is dead, but was that shock he was in? and im wondering if It was PetLand? Also! last week when I got the first male Their goldfish section was cleared out and this weak all their gold fish didn't look to good...
Woah! A load of problems are going on there, on the pet store's end!
I would say the problem is the bleach. Like soap, bleach can leave chemicals behind even after there is no smell left and plastic tanks tend to absorb things better than glass. This is why most fish keepers do not use chemicals at all. More so, chemicals are unnecessary most of the time for cleaning, with hot water and sometimes white vinegar being more than enough.
Because you acclimated the fish for such a long time, I would rule out shock. Something contaminated the water and caused him to die. Shock does not tend to kill, either; it just hurts the fish in the majority of all cases.
As for the conditions of the fish at Pet Land... Well, that is typical for pet stores unfortunately. How are the betta fish kept?
Bleach needs a good 6+ hours to fully go away, even with rinsing. If I ever use bleach I make sure the tank will sit outside for at least 6 hours and then (I've only done this with an acrylic tank) ran it through the dishwasher twice. If there were still traces of bleach, then that probably killed him. :/
While I cant be 100% sure, it may have been the bleach, since his death was so sudden...As a general rule, I've read that people usually let stuff fully dry out in the sun for a couple of hours before using stuff that was bleached.
I would say it was the bleach. I bleached out my mouse tanks after my mice died because when they died in was in the night and both times I woke up to the smell of dead mouse. I still haven't converted the tanks because I am rinsing them with hot water daily just to be sure and then scrapping out all the sealent to refill it with new sealent. Also I don't trust Petland with any animal. People have gotten puppies that that die in a week from parvo.
How was he kept? Well im new to this site so Im not quite sure what you mean, but I kept him in room tempture, in a Tank about 2.5 gallons, no heater or filter, I change their water every week, feed them flakes,
I wouldn't use bleach but the fact that the first one died right away also is suspicious. And I'm not surprised with them coming from petland. I would suggest finding another store to find your next betta (or any animal). I'm appalled that place is still allowed to operate.
Try cleaning with just hot water or vinegar. Sorry this has happened :(
I would also say for the long run one 50% water change and one 100% water change are best for 2.5 gallon tanks and betta's love to have heaters. They are tropical fish and need temps between 78-80 degrees. I am sure they would enjoy the warm stable water.