Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #1 
SwirlsontheMini

Unhappy Can't See That Well

*sigh* It's been quite a while now... Ignatius-Lune is having trouble with his sight. I wiggle my finger close to where I drop his food so that he notices, and he grabs his food sometimes... and not really at other times. You see, what he does is get really close to his food first, not toward his lips, but right above his eyes or his nose, and then bites, but of course it doesn't work too well. He's also been eccentric on how he swims toward something- he maneuvers himself to get into the right position a little too much I'm afraid. It gets exasperating because the food that he misses eventually sinks right to the bottom. (they're pellets) So I have to keep giving him food until he actually eats two... or one. (Hopefully he's been bottom feeding.)
My sister says it's a parasite. Right now I feel helpless and lately I've been using one of my only remedies for treating my poor fish, which would be anti-fungal fish remedy [API-PimaFix].(My other means would be anti-bacterial fish remedy [API-melafix]) Would should I do?
SwirlsontheMini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #2 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwirlsontheMini View Post
*sigh* It's been quite a while now... Ignatius-Lune is having trouble with his sight. I wiggle my finger close to where I drop his food so that he notices, and he grabs his food sometimes... and not really at other times. You see, what he does is get really close to his food first, not toward his lips, but right above his eyes or his nose, and then bites, but of course it doesn't work too well. He's also been eccentric on how he swims toward something- he maneuvers himself to get into the right position a little too much I'm afraid. It gets exasperating because the food that he misses eventually sinks right to the bottom. (they're pellets) So I have to keep giving him food until he actually eats two... or one. (Hopefully he's been bottom feeding.)
My sister says it's a parasite. Right now I feel helpless and lately I've been using one of my only remedies for treating my poor fish, which would be anti-fungal fish remedy [API-PimaFix].(My other means would be anti-bacterial fish remedy [API-melafix]) Would should I do?
How long have you had him? What kind of betta is he?
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #3 
SwirlsontheMini

I have had him for a year and four months. He was a weanie when I bought him. x] Ignatias Lune is a light, gray, blue, with a blush of red on the fins. (Very unusual, I think, to see a pale betta with those colors.) His tail is long and round, and his front tassels are very short and spiraled, or curled. Most of his fins have a touch of curl to them. His body type is the average betta, no dwarfism. He likes to observe things, but now he can't anymore. As a matter of fact, I tried to put a mirror up but he didn't even flare up, so I don't think he even noticed... (His Bowl is flat on both sides.) That's a bad sign to me. He's slower on the draw too because of his problem.
He's had problems with frayed tail fins that I've been fighting with for a long time; in fact, there's a huge gouge in his tail right now, but it's slowly healing. My suspicion from where that came from is the shell I gave him for a home, so I replaced it. For some extra 'Uh-oh's, he fell down the sink one time, but that was a year ago. -_-; But I really need to know what he actually has. Can you tell me?
SwirlsontheMini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #4 
Luimeril

can you get a picture of him? a clear close up of his eyes would help a lot. even if he DOES have issues seeing, it won't hurt him much at all. i had a betta who was almost totally blind, and he lived just fine. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #5 
jeremywadejunior

I would also like to see a picture that shows his eyes as well as his body. I'm not sure if blindness could be an affect of older age in bettas.. However if he is a dragon scale betta, his irredescence could be growing over his eyes which is normal with dragon scale bettas. Have you used aquarium salt to treat his fins?
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote