Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #1 
PaulO

*sigh*

Well I woke up this morning like usual, turned on tank lights, fed fish, did a quick head count and went to school. I come back and I take a look and find the first of the (insert sarcasm here)amazing surprises. One of my bettas has a little fuzzy spot on their head so I premix a solution of salt (1 tsp per gallon) for a 1.5 gallon and start treating, that's just the first of my problems. I feed the fish again and check all the other tanks and they seem normal. I then go finish homework and surf online to about early evening, here comes the second great surprise. I take a look into my 10 gallon Mollie tank and find a dead molly on the bottom, as if that's not bad enough i see two little red strings hanging out of it's poop chute (I'm assuming some form of internal parasites). Well I assume that this means my other two mollies are infected as well. No here's the real conundrum, for my mollies i have them in a 3 Tbsp.(tablespoon) per 2 gallon solution just as a preventative so conservative treatment is thrown right out of the window. Now another fun fact to this is that 3 weeks ago I had a molly give birth and now I have fry in a separate tank but I am extremely paranoid that I will by some manner infect their tank if it's not infected already and have to deal with 11 potentially healthy fry dying off this week. Not to mention I need to clean the bottom of the tank and I only have one siphon. Also rats cages need cleaning and I still have some homework to do. At this point I am considering just saying screw this and just let disease run rampant through my tanks. I don't even have the faintest idea on how I am going to treat my tanks as well as if I will be able to even afford any medication. Basically I'm screwed, I should have known this would have happened because every time something remotely good even starts to happen as soon as my hopes get up they get stamped into the ground and pretty much ground into a pathetic excuse of a dream. If anybody has any idea how I'm going to treat these tanks then fire ahead I guess. As cruel as this will sound I am giving my bettas priority, all the animals are store bought. I suspect that one of the mollies had been infected while at pet smart another example of their brilliant massive filtration/water sharing tanks. So far I have just put my betta in a tsp per gallon solution and that's about it. I really have no idea what the hell I am going to do. Think I will just sleep about it and see tomorrow what meds I need to buy with money mooched from my parents. Thanks
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

mollys can tolerate a much higher amount of salt....
but you should be looking at epsom salt and some kind of internal parasite meds...

Watch that cotton very carefully, if he's in a divided tank, be prepared to promptly treat his tank mates as well with an antibacterial/ antifungal med if the Aq salt doesn't shoo it off...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #3 
PaulO

A few details/questions:
1-betta is a female
2-no cottony spots on mouth just a whitish cloud on top of her head (ick maybe or fungal?)
3-the thing freaking me out is the little red threads hanging out of the carcass of the dedicated molly tank.
4-I am possibly looking at all my tanks being wiped out due to the fact that my budget prevents me from getting independant equipment for all the tanks.
5-the betta in question is in a 1.5 gallon cube aquarium with a salt treatment the thing is whats the dose of salt to use. While I dont want to use antiubiotics if no change is seen with salt or progression of spot in question developes i will need some suggestions of what to use.
6-Should I use the max dose of salt plus concentrated baths to obliterate this disease or is slow the way to go?
7-What antibiotics/treatments should I use for the tank with the infected mollie carcass and what should I use for the betta girl.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

mollie... I wont do anything until the others begin acting up. how was this molly acting before it died?

Your female betta... try upping the dose to 2tsp/gal... is she's acting fine... up it to 3... I usually gradually incr. dosage to 3 tsp/g for my sick fishies... they barely bat an eyelid...if you can... lower the water temperature to around 76F very slowly.
A good med to have on hand for bacterial problems is furan 2...
but your budget... hmm.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:26 AM   #5 
PaulO

Well I talked to my parents and they are willing to help if it means blowing some money for meds so that is out of they way. I am suspecting camallanus because I saw physical threads protruding from the anus of the mollie. The only behavior differences was about a week ago when 2 out of 3 developed a little bit of shimmy? I countered this by adding aquarium salt to the tank about 1 tsp per gallon and gradually upped it to the current 3tbsp per 2 gallon. Also on the threads they were red but unlike other pics i have seen where it looks like a little dot this fuzzy threads at the exterior of the anus these were two long threads about 1/2 inch long. I have read that levamisole is the recommended treatment for nematodes but is it safe to put with the mollies? I also read about people recommending flubendizole food to help treat inside the digestive tracts of the fish. I am not sure what is considered strange behavior in mollies but lately they have gotten a lot less active. Now that I think about it I probably should have been a little worried but they were still eating fine so I really don't know. Also in the worst case scenario if these suspected nematodes do wipe out my whole tank what precautions should I take? ex. Do I have to throw away the tank or can I possibly just dose it with extremely powerful concentrations of anti fungal and antibiotics? I am a little worried about creating resistant super bugs but I do need to make sure I can at least give these fish a fighting chance. Also would it be better if instead of dosing the tank with meds if I let them starve themselves and how long would it take. I am sorry for all these overwhelming questions but I have never really had to deal with any serious illness in my tanks just a few clamped fins and some very mild fin rot. From what i have read this disease is very difficult to get rid of and I have never really used actual meds on fish before. Also I haven't even been using heaters as the temp in my tanks about 80-82 in the afternoon and drops to 77 at night. I really have no way of doing anything temp wise :/.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #6 
PaulO

Another quick note I have no idea where to get levamisole and I heard it is hard to find because of some genius cocaine addicts using it in their drugs. I need to find either this in a form safe for my fish or some other powerful med that can hopefully wipe this out.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

hmm it's good they're eating. can u get yor hands on the anti parasite medicated fish food by jungle...?
Old 09-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #8 
PaulO

I really don't know all I have access to is my local petco (no meds) and petsmart my only other solution. I will probably go there tomorrow but I have looked in there and they have a fairly big section with meds so I might be able to find something. if it is not to much trouble it would be extremely helpful if I can get maybe a list of stuff to look for and maybe a few alternatives if those aren't available. I really am more worried about my betta but the scary thing is the way this fish died. It happened rather suddenly, I do remember all of them were in a corner almost like they were comforting each other. The weird thing is this happened with my other mollie, same behavior but no red threads. Thanks again for helping me out I don't even have the faintest idea of what I would do without this forum. I could buy some stuff from drfostersmith but I don't know how long it would take to ship, even though my parents did offer financial help I don't know if I can mooch off of them but if it's necessary I will just owe them for a extremely long time.

Last edited by PaulO; 09-26-2012 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Add On
Old 09-26-2012, 03:51 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

Unfortunately, I'm not a internal parasite expert...
But I know that you can certainly take advantage of the fact that they stoll eat, to feed them some anti parasite food which is usually the most effective...

Start a new thread in betta emergencies, titled internal parasites or something and fill out the sticky questionaire.

Also a good idea to do a google search within the diseases and emergency forum to read up on threads on internal parasites.

All the best!
Old 09-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #10 
PaulO

Thank you