Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2012, 03:03 AM   #11 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
No they're not harmful at all, they just feed on rotting food and algae. So they're actually pretty helpful as long as their population doesn't get out of control (make sure to not overfeed your fish).
Yup nope I only feed him a little nightly :) They can be pretty unsightly if they over take the tank!! I sure hope there isn't egg sacs, as I've had the lettuce leaf out for a few hours, and so far I can't see ANY snails on it! o_o fingers crossed there's only one for two
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:31 AM   #12 
Pilot00

Can i ask the dimensions of the tank and what other fish you have in there?
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #13 
moonsand0wls

Just my Betta. I'm not sure the measurements as I don't have a measure on me, but it's 50L.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #14 
Laki

It might take some time. They might wait until it's dark to invade the lettuce trap. :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #15 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
It might take some time. They might wait until it's dark to invade the lettuce trap. :)
Problem with that is that this wont harm the eggs. And its the eggs that are the big problem.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #16 
toad

What's wrong with them, really?

I got a snail from Petco - a pond snail, called Mr. Snail, that they didn't want to give me, but I insisted. I have to rename her, because she had a million babies I like them, I think they're cute lol.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #17 
ZergyMonster

I am actually in the process of eliminating all my ramshorn snails. I purchased some pond snails because they are much more appealing and do a better job. So I have been looking in my tank everyday and looking for stray ramshorns and with a pinch I kill them. Squishing them is the most human way of getting rid of them, it is a quick and spontaneous death versus being left out to shrivel or being flushed or suffocated.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #18 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
What's wrong with them, really?

I got a snail from Petco - a pond snail, called Mr. Snail, that they didn't want to give me, but I insisted. I have to rename her, because she had a million babies I like them, I think they're cute lol.
They're unsightly for my tank, they would be okay if there was just one or two, bvut if the eggs hatch I don't want my tank over run :( They'd be okay if they were wanted.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #19 
Laki

Oh my god. My dormant assassin snails hunted down and killed a pond snail in less than 10 minutes. Since I have such a problem with algae, I decided to put the duckweed in the assassins floating cup and add a pond snail to clean them (this way saving my tank from snails which I have but have never kept them in my tank because my assassins never ate them)

So, I'll add another pond today and if that one too is killed then I'll add my pond snails to the tank and release the assassins and they can do what they like. I'll just keep my nerites safe on one side of the divider.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #20 
Freyja
Banned

I agree as to their usefulness. I have two trumpet snails that came as hitchhikers in plants and like them. They are fun to watch burrowing in my gravel. Im looking out for my LFS to bring in their shipment of tiger nerite which are drool-worthy.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote