Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #1 
bettabubbles25

Any opinions on "betta water renewal"?

So I have had this Betta Water Renewal made by Aqueon but I have never really used it for fear that it might hurt my betta. I have only used a couple of drops once before in a 2.5 gallon.

If anybody has any opinions on it, whether I should use it or not would really help.

Thanks!

Also, my betta has a slight, very small, tear in his fin. I read somewhere that it could be from a lot of flaring? I don't believe there is anything sharp in his tank. Would the water renewal help keep it from getting infected?
bettabubbles25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #2 
AQUALUVA

They have something called bettafix. I hear that works good. I use Aqueon products they are pretty good
AQUALUVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

I have never heard of Betta Water Renewal...but I use only conditioned tap water. Clean, warm water is the best thing for a betta. From what I have heard Betta Fix can really damage your betta, so I would not use it. The fins can heal without anything but good water conditions..if you really need to use something, mix a small amount of AQ salt in some conditioned water to add when you do your next water change...be sure the salt is dissolved or it will burn.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #4 
AQUALUVA

I'm glad you told me that. I was really thinking about getting some
AQUALUVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, Bettafix has tea tree oil which can harm or even kill them by damaging their laybyrinth organ. Anything with -fix has that actually, it's best not to use them. Betta Water Renewal is just water conditioner so it won't really do anything except condition your water for the chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals, etc..
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #6 
LizzyP

Melafix, bettafix, anything with a "fix" on the end is show to harm their labyrinth organ, which they need to breathe. Bettas breathe oxygen from the air, just like we do. The labyrinth organ allows them to do that. If you damage it, you could suffocate your betta.

As for the product you are referring too, I don't use it. I just use clean, warm water, at the most aquarium salt. Usually just plain conditioned tap water will do just fine for healing fins.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #7 
registereduser

Why do they sell it if it kills fish? I don't understand.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #8 
laynisample

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Why do they sell it if it kills fish? I don't understand.
Because they make a lot of money by preying on people that don't know anything about bettas. "Oh! This says betta on it and it's in the betta section. It must be a special formula for my fish." Then when it dies they think they just got an old fish.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yeah just use clean conditioned water and he should heal just fine. Is his tank heated, do you have a heater ?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #10 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynisample View Post
Because they make a lot of money by preying on people that don't know anything about bettas. "Oh! This says betta on it and it's in the betta section. It must be a special formula for my fish." Then when it dies they think they just got an old fish.
All these years and no one has caught on?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote