Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #1 
DoctorPanda

Dark betta turns white sometimes o_0

This isn't in the disease board since I'm PRETTY positive it's not a disease, just a weird thing.

I recently got a new betta. He's extremely dark blue, almost black, all over. And he's small, so I'm guessing he's not that old.

Sometimes, though...he turns white. When I first got him, he had horizontal light stripes on his body, which I'm guessing was just because of stress since they went away soon after I got him settled at home. But about a week ago, I looked over at him and...the bars were back, his stomach was white, and around his gills were white? I thought it was some freak thing, but it happened again last night

I'm not sure how long it lasts (it's been right before I go to bed both times), but its just weird. The only thing I can think of is stress, but I honestly don't see any reason for him to be stressed x_X

I'm not worried or anything, was just wondering if someone could pinpoint a reason for this because I'm very curious =p Thanks
DoctorPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #2 
DragonFish

White.....what do you mean by white exactly? Do you literally mean WHITE or is he just pale? Any chance you could provide a couple of pictures....? Whats your tank setup/feeding schedule like? How is his behavior? When do you go to bed/turn off his lights at night?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #3 
DoctorPanda

I've had bettas for years, its not some problem on my end >_<
His stomach gets practically white, and then he has the stress stripes or whatever they're called. I guess I was stupid for even posting here, I suppose he's just making up stuff to be scared about =P
Old 09-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #4 
DragonFish

Well I ask what I ask because 1-I'm not familiar with you on he forum, so I know absolutely nothing about you and your setups and fish and whatnot and 2-Because sometimes there are weird little things most anyone would think about, and each betta is an individual. Some are stressed out easily by weird things. Could be the lights and how long they're left on(I know my fish tend to get a little stressed if I leave the lights on too late), could be something as simple as an object sitting around his tank he doesn't like, or even his reflection in the glass when it gets dark and his lights are still on.

As a general rule, when I'm not familiar with a user, I ask for additional information and pictures any way just as a precaution to make sure I can advise as accurately as possible. ;) I have an assumption about whats going on with your boy, but without any additional information, or at the very least a picture or two, I can't be completely positive and I would hate to tell you something and it end up being something else, you know?

Last edited by DragonFish; 09-26-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #5 
Pogthefish

and go to the diseases and emergencies section and find a sticky titled: Please answer as many of these questions as you can when seeking help and copy and paste that into your question, and fill it out.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #6 
Frazzle

Pictures help
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Yes, at the very least pictures would be very helpful....since, of course, we can't see your fish for ourselves. xD I wouldn't even say you had to completely fill out that Disease and Emergencies sticky....though obviously the more information the better, the questions I asked should cover most things and help to, at least, confirm(most likely)or debunk my theory.

I and others only want to help answer your question, and without much information to go on we can't do that properly. Its never pointless to ask if you have a question or concern about your companion; thats what we're here for after all.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #8 
DoctorPanda

Well it was more of a general thing, just a curiosity thing. Like I said, I know it's not a disease. Just wondering if anyone else had a betta that...stressed themselves out or something

Also, its not like I can go and get a picture x_X It doesn't happen frequently
Old 09-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #9 
Pogthefish

Can you fill out the sticky? Now I'm curious.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #10 
DragonFish

My questions weren't directed at detecting some disease.....if I was going for that I would had directed you to the sticky. You said no disease, I believe you know your fish well enough to know, but like I said before I'm unfamiliar with you on the forum so I ask to make SURE I'm giving you the proper information. Also, like I said, I was looking for any possible little random reasons for the stress that you're mentioning....bettas can stress over the strangest things, sometimes things we don't even think about right away.
And since its not a disease, its not like theres a huge rush to get a picture....just keep the camera ready for when it happens next, just in case. Pictures are always helpful.

Without any further information or pictures though, I can only do a little guessing.
The fact that you say 'white' does put up a little red flag in my head.....as a dark betta should not be turning white-white. HOWEVER, assuming you just mean he gets paler(as in his color drains)and he displays stress stripes occasionally at seemingly random.....then that is a little unusual. Its something very often seen in females, especially sensitive ones, who stress a the drop of a hat and stripe up immediately.....in males I've only ever seen it in very VERY young ones, and only when there is an obvious reason to be stressed....though I did have one VERY skiddish young male a long time ago that was stripped up more then any girl I'd ever had, but it wasn't a random, infrequent thing.

If it is JUST that, then its nothing to be too worried about. You probably just have a very young male, and since both times it happened at night its possible you may have left the light on a little long for his liking(they can be so picky....)or if you have a cat or something perhaps they passed by the tank and bothered him, or maybe he just spotted his reflection and didn't like it, or there could have been some weird shadow outside the tank he decided he didn't like.....could be lots of things.