Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #1 
ImBlessed

May I introduce you to Thor... And his fin rot?!?

I purchased my second betta on 9/18, after waiting a few months after my first betta had died. You know how it is; they just kinda speak to you at the LPS. This veiltail male was a teal color which I thought would be appealing to my boy/girl twins (you know, to avoid their arguing). I thoroughly checked him out in his plastic cup looking for signs of fin rot, itch, velvet, pine coning, et al., and his response to me. All appeared fine. Within a weeks time he is beginning to darken to a majestic blue and his head is turning black. I am guessing that his true colors are coming out now that he is in a better environment. Last weekend I noticed his caudal fin looked torn - something I had not noticed before. However, this morning when I took some pictures of him to post here, I am now wondering if Thor has fin rot?

If he has fin rot, would it be necessary to QT him? I do have aquarium salt on hand to medicate, and a 2.5 gallon tank for the QT. If I should QT him, I was thinking of just adding a heater, thermometer for monitoring the temp and perhaps one silk plant. Thoughts?

His current set-up: 5 gallon; heated (79/80 degrees); filtered; LED lighting; use Stress Coat conditioner; sand; 6 silk plants and one hammock; Sponge Bob house; and cave/rock thingy.

Over-all health: he's fed 2x's a day, New Life Specturm .5mm pellets, which he readily gobbles up; healthy "cinnamon bun"-looking poop; stays active (I haven't seen him rest!); curious -follows my finger, checks out my finger, checks out the bowl I use for water changes, even came out of the water to check out the camera!

I greatly appreciate anyone sharing their impressions/thoughts regarding his fins :o)

PS - I'm curious: when doing 100% water changes what do I do with the sand?! I mean how do I get all the water out when there is sand on the bottom???

PPS - I will take out the small amount of gravel under the pineapple house when I do the 100% water change to help reduce the *bad* bacteria.

Last edited by ImBlessed; 09-26-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: grammar
ImBlessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #2 
ImBlessed

pics

This is what he basically looked like when I first got him...
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #3 
ImBlessed

Possible tail rot?
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #4 
ImBlessed

Color he appears as now:
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #5 
ImBlessed

Tank environment:
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi and wow he is so pretty I love his beautiful blue color !!!! And his tank is awesome I totally love the blue sand and with the white gravel under the SB house wow very nice, what a awesome job you did on your tank I love it and it matches him perfect !!!

I am not sure about the fins so lets wait for someone else to have a look and see what they think, it he does have abit of fin rot its fairly easy to treat. But for now good clean warm water is the most important thing and sounds like your doing a great job ! Do you have a gravel vac to clean the sand and gravel with ? That would be the easiest way to do it, just hover it over the sand to clean and the same with the gravel, you can poke around in it to be sure you get all the poop and yuckies out. There is no need to take the gravel out in fact leave it in and same with the sand and it will help cycle your tank. The good bacteria lives on the gravel and the decorations so you want to keep that.

No need to really do a 100 percent water change, a couple of 50 percent a week would be all you really need to do on a 5 gallon. Have you thought about cycling the tank ? I cycled my 5 gallon doing a fish in cycle and with the help of the people here and Prime water conditioner and the API freshwater Kit to check all the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate it was not to bad and my Betta did awesome during it. As long as you do the water changes, check the levels everyday and use Prime cause it will detox the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for 48 hours its safe.

Glad he loves the NLS pellets those are great for his health . Just hang in there for someone to answer your questions about the fins okay.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #7 
ImBlessed

PERSEUSMOM - Thank you so much for your kind comments! I do have Prime on hand, but bought Stress Coat when I got him. From everything I read about SC I thought that would be best for his transition to his new home. As for the 100% water change I was thinking that would only apply if it was determined he has fin rot.

FOR ANYONE - I was thinking that it was best to remove him (gently scoop him up in a bowl) when I vacuum the bottom? And is it necessary to remove the decor to rinse them off with hot water?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #8 
katydidmischief

It does look like he's got fin rot, but there are other more experienced members to the hobby who might be able to say different. He is a beautiful color though and I love his tank!
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #9 
Frazzle

You can rinse them with hot water, but dont add them to the water right away because if you decorations are hot from the water, it can raise the water temp
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #10 
ImBlessed

Thank you all for the compliments on the tank setup and for enjoying Thor's color as much as me!

I'd be most appreciate if any veteran could weigh in on the fin rot question :)