Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #51 
Aus

Not many people know this, but water snails have secret powers of teleportation. That's how they appear everywhere, including in quarantined, snail-free tanks. They teleport.

I adore all my snails and don't mind having them in the least. I am actually thinking about having a snail-only tank for the next lot of blond snails I get in..

I have ramshorns (the babies are so adorable), ponds, Waterhouse snails (native Aussie trapdoor type), Malaysian trumpets and -- I think - I have an assassin snail or two as well. I don't mind having a bajillion, as I keep up frequent water changes to cope with the bioload.

My first shipment of adult blond snails died, I think it was the soft water they were in -- but I found baby ones in a completely different tank, one I am sure the adult snails were never in. They are definitely teleporting!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #52 
ao
TFK Moderator

oh for the inverts, I always throw a few shells in to harden the water a bit. not the best if you want a betta with perfect fins, but it will be loved by your snails and shrimps.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #53 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Not many people know this, but water snails have secret powers of teleportation. That's how they appear everywhere, including in quarantined, snail-free tanks. They teleport.

I adore all my snails and don't mind having them in the least. I am actually thinking about having a snail-only tank for the next lot of blond snails I get in..

I have ramshorns (the babies are so adorable), ponds, Waterhouse snails (native Aussie trapdoor type), Malaysian trumpets and -- I think - I have an assassin snail or two as well. I don't mind having a bajillion, as I keep up frequent water changes to cope with the bioload.

My first shipment of adult blond snails died, I think it was the soft water they were in -- but I found baby ones in a completely different tank, one I am sure the adult snails were never in. They are definitely teleporting!
I am wondering this, if you keep assassins, say two of them, with the other fast breeding types will the population stay stable?
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #54 
Jupiter

I don't really see the appeal of snails. I don't hate them, but I don't really like them either. If there's a few in my tank then I'll leave them be...it's when they cover every surface that we have a problem. It just looks bad imo and they smell kinda funky.

Although oddly enough, I think land snails are adorable lol

Last edited by Jupiter; 09-28-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #55 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Although oddly enough, I think land snails are adorable lol
I am responsible for the massacre of about a hundred land snails when i was a kiddo (bellow ten), i liked them too much and kept collecting them in a bottle. Then because I collected them from the beach i though they were water snails and i put water in the bottle....

Thankfully the next day many were out of the bottle alive.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote