Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #1 
PaintedOaksOki

ADF(s) and a Betta?

So I've done a wee (not very much) research on ADF's and they seem quite interesting, and wouldn't mind keeping a pair. SO! I was wondering if five gallons would be enough for Two (or MAYBE one) froggies, and my male Tug? I also have a 7.9 gallon with my male Strausse in it, which is also a possibility. Although, as of now, the tank is lacking a lid :( BUT I should be making a new one (accidently stepped on the last one xD) soon!

I've got two tanks (listed above) do either sound suitable for an ADF or two? I've read a BIT (like I said not much) about them having to be kept in pairs? I do have a ten, and a five gallon I could use for quarantining the frogs prior to putting them in either of the tanks. I CANNOT set up another tank permantly because I just don't have the enough time, space, and money to be giving the best care I can for a whole new ecosystem like that.

I must add in that Strausse, my betta who lives in my 7.9 gallon is on the more aggressive side, BUT I don't know how he'd handle a whole new tank mate, I mean, with it being a frog, and it being about the same size as him I don't think he'll be TOO upset. The 7.9 gallon DOES have a SMALLER base than my 5 gallon, and this tank is taller, rather being wider; hence why it's got a smaller base.

My five gallon with Tug SEEMS suitable for Tug to have a POSSIBLE tank mate, I mean he is really laid back compared to Strausse and I've never been able to get him to flare, no matter how hard I try!

If by chance these frogs woundn't get along with which ever betta they might end up with I could probably set up one of the other tanks as a last ditch effort. I say this because I wouldn't want them to suffer because of my poor judgement, etc.

I don't have the money (well, I do, but I'm saving) to make a SUPER fancy home for just the AFD SO I'd really love to have some, but I'd like to keep them in with one of my other bettas to keep every thing easy/easier! I am only a teenager, so I don't have a REAL job yet. :p

THANK YOU! (in advance) for your help! :D I do not want to go into anything unprepared, because I'd really hate to have these little guys, thinking I'm doing the right think when really I'm harming them!
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The big problem with ADF is they are slow swimmers.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #3 
PaintedOaksOki

I've read about that xD
How much of an issue would that be? My 5 gallon isn't that tall.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I think I have read the tank needs to be no taller then 14 inches.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #5 
PaintedOaksOki

14 inches... I shall have to measure my tanks.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #6 
Gizmothefreaky

Please read my thread on the proper care of ADFs, in my sig. It will have all the appropriate information for their housing an whatnot.

Thank you.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #7 
sarahspins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
The big problem with ADF is they are slow swimmers.
Mine must not have gotten that message They are crazy fast when they want to be. Slow and stupid the rest of the time. Mine make it to the top and back down to breathe in like half a second... if you blink you'll miss it, the only evidence is the exhale bubble which is easier to catch than the dive for air.

I've read that anything under 18" is fine... I know people can keep them in 55 gallon tanks with no problems, which when you consider the depth of substrate at 2-3" is probably only 17-18" from bottom to top of the water.

Is your 7.9 a Fluval Ebi/Flora? That would be just fine for ADF's :)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #8 
PaintedOaksOki

@sarahspins:Yes my is indeed the Flora ;) Got it from my dad, lol, he finished off his plants, since he was having to many problems with his plants, but hey! I gained a free tank!
Do you think I'd have enough room for two in there? I also have Strausse in there, my little porker of a betta!
--
@Gizmo: I have read your thread twice now, lol, might go back a reread it again later!

--

Ugh, can't decide on which fish they'd be better tank mates with. I mean they are probably going in the Flora (7.9) because it is larger, BUT Strausse is the one who is more likely to eat their food, and POSSIBLY cause some trouble. On the other hand I worry about Tug having issues with the ADFs because his eyes have begun to have cloud over with iridensence! Tug is a gentle fish who I can't get to flare, he just gets stressed at a mirror, lol. I mean if in the end they DIDN'T work out with Strausse I could put Strausse in the 5gal(where Tug currently resides) and move Tug into the Flora. Desicions, desicions. BUT before I even fully decide on this I have to ask my parents, and then double check that I'm allowed to break out another tank for quarantine!
Old 09-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #9 
sarahspins

Yep, plenty of room for the frogs and a betta. I have one of those tanks too waiting to be set up :)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #10 
Gizmothefreaky

Ah, well then let me clarify.

You can put one frog with the betta in the five gallon, or two with the betta in the seven, if you are worried about the fish's personalities, why not switch the fish?

ADFs do not need to be kept in pairs or groups, they do just fine by themselves. I personally keep a single female in my 55 gallon tank, though I am thinking of setting up a temporary tank to qt several more for her to have some froggy company. :)
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote