Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #1 
madmonahan

Unhappy Help!!! Please!!!!

Ok first of I'm sorry this is in the contest section :( I need help on two things one, how do u post threads (not on the betta contest page) and two Im ssssoooo scared!!!! Ok here is the deal tomorrow we might leave to go to San Francisco and then to Hawiie for free!!!! BUT the problem is I don't have anyone to take care of my bettas!!! When I left them with my friend I came home to two bloated girls and some CLOUDY tanks!!!!

And when I left them with my brothers girlfriend I came back and the heater had been on the whole time!!! The temp was 95 degrees!!! Now I DON'T want to leave them with my brother I know for a fact that he wont take good care of them they all think "it's just a fish!" but their not just fish to me!! So now I don't know what to dddooooo!!! (oh and were going to be gone for a week!!!)
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #2 
madmonahan

Nevermind on the first question I figured it out
Old 09-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #3 
LittleFish2012

Hmm. When I'm gone for a week, I usually leave a list of what to do and have my neighbors take care of my fish. If you have any trusted neighbors or friends nearby, you could ask them.
OR if its short notice, I just leave them as is. I've done that simply because the last caretakers did a terrible job babysitting my boys. They were better off untouched.They seem to last a week without food. They just get hungry.
You could also have someone stop by once in the middle of the week to feed them.
As for your heater... if it gets too warm, you could turn it off. I find that they can be rather sturdy. (Unless you live someplace really cold- in that case, leave it on!)

Hope that helps some. Don't worry about it too much. :)
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #4 
madmonahan

Thank you!! This helps alot!! I was also wondering what to do for the temp of their tanks I don't like to keep the heaters on to long because they tend to overheat (and my room is a little cooler because I have so many vents) so should I just set the temp on 78 degrees?(not the heater my room) And also I have a sick betta will he be ok?
Old 09-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #5 
registereduser

Maybe you should hire a petsitter.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #6 
LittleFish2012

You mean the temperature of the tank is 78, right? If thats the case, that will be fine for them. :)
Sick fish, huh? Sick with what, do you know?
Either way, an interesting "cure-all" for betta fish seems to be Epsom salt. If he's really sick (or on deathbed) try 3tsp per gallon. If he's not so sick, 1.5-2tsp would work fine as well.
Sick bettas typically need warmer water to help them heal or get better, but 78 degrees is fine for even a sick fish.
Trust me on that- I've brought a fish basically back from the dead and his water wasn't even as warm as 78 (I was on vacation for two weeks and had to leave him. The epsom salts worked well).
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

The water temp will be a few degrees cooler then the room temp so if you can set it at 83 or 84. What size tank are your fish in and how many fish do you have ? They will be okay without food for a week if you cant find anyone who will eat them the right amount and all that. Are any of your tanks cycled ? You would also do a water change before you leave.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #8 
madmonahan

Thank you again!!! No my tanks are not cycled, and I have a two2.5 a10 a divided 10 and a 3gallon. I'm saving money to get a new 10 gallon to divide and put two of boys in it. :)