Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #1 
LadyVictorian

Aquarium Salt Safe for Babies

Yes or no? I just got a tiny baby and want to put some in the tank if it will increase it's chances of survival.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #2 
babystarz

Yes it's safe but they're more sensitive to it than adults, so 1/2 a teaspoon per gallon is plenty, and be sure to dissolve it first :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #3 
DragonFish

As far as the safety thing....I'm not entirely positive. But I wouldn't add anything to the tank other then maybe some IAL or Oak Leaves if the baby appears healthy. Aquarium salt, to my understanding, is like a medication and should usually be treated as such....no need to add it unless something is wrong that can be treated with it. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian

I don't have IAL or oak trees around me to get oak leaves. How long would it take to ship some IAL to my house?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #5 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I don't have IAL or oak trees around me to get oak leaves. How long would it take to ship some IAL to my house?
Under a week if you order from someone in the U.S.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #6 
DragonFish

I've never ordered any either, been thinking about it recently though....but yeah, I assume a week or under if you order from someone in the US.

I wouldn't say you absolutely NEED some though. They're probably a little helpful, but so long as you keep the water clean and warm, you've got the proper food, and your baby appears healthy you should be alright.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

Okay thanks, so far the baby has eaten three pellets so I am so excited it's eating. I got it into some nice clean water and I'm going to do a water change every day to keep it nice and shinny. I'm a bit afraid to use my spare heater though because it was designed for a 10gallon...I need a smaller heater but until then the baby has Aquamans. Is there a place I can order a smaller heater for more 2.5 and less? the 10 gallon heater would EASILY cook the poor thing and Aquarius's heater is 5gallon but the hospital tank is under a gallon easily. It's hold maybe 3 or 4 of petco's cups worth of water.

Also I have a heating pad from when my mice were sick and putting it on the bottom side of the shelf so it heats up the wood of the shelf and hopefully through that the water but still I fear cooking the baby. Aside from having Aquaman's heater in there I thought of putting blankets around the tank to keep it warmer. I'm also worried about when I put Aquaman's heater back spreading germs.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #8 
DragonFish

Hmm.....You can always cup the little baby and remove him, then try the heater and see how it does. It may work on the lowest setting, and if its adjustable(which I assume it is of course)then it should hold pretty steady. If it doesn't work though or if you're really too paranoid(which I TOTALLY understand), just something 25 watt thats adjustable with a thermostat should be okay I'd think.

I just ordered several of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/2710315149...E:L:OU:US:3160
And they actually work very well, cheap too obviously, and nice and small size-wise. They take a couple of weeks to come in though, which is the downside....but I thought I'd toss it out there for you anyway.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #9 
babystarz

I have a bunch of these and like them a lot:
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...te+mini+heater
Old 09-27-2012, 02:44 AM   #10 
LadyVictorian

How long does it take that Elite heater to come in and does it have a suction cup on the back that sticks to a tank? If I get that one it will also go into the babies 2.5 gallon tank I'll get once it's a little bigger. I would like to have that heater soon as possible so Aquarius can have his own heater back and not have this massive one taking up his tank. xD he's pretty pissed about it.