Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #1 
Sivan

Looking for fake plants for SUPER delicate fins

Hello!

My boy Crusoe is a veiltail with incredibly delicate fins. He is the first betta that I have owned who cannot use the plastic plants he inherited from past fish, even the softest plastic plant with no sharp edges still snags his tail. Part of this is because be likes to swim stupidly through things, in ways that seem improbable. I have eliminated many decor pieces and even some hiding spots because of his delicacy but cannot seem to find any silk or even fabric plants for my tank.

I was wondering if anybody here knows of a place to purchase extremely smooth, silk or fabric, fake plants. I do not trust online sources because I cannot feel what the plant is like for myself, so I am unfortunately limited to what is available in stores. I plan on buying Mr. Delicato some soft plants during the Thanksgiving or Christmas shopping season. I do not generally like Petco but they are an option for when I go visit my parents during these times and we do have some locally owned fish stores that may carry items.

So what should I be on the lookout for? Any favorite fake plants for delicate fins? I have a 5 gallon tank and cannot do particularly tall plants. I also plan on buying a betta log for Crusoe, so I do not want anything that might tangle with it.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You could use easy to care for plants like anuibus. Silk plants are the fake plant recommend for bettas only.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:06 AM   #3 
katydidmischief

If you can do live plants, they're usually best--Anubius like Choclate said is super easy (just don't bury the rhizone). I have them, but I also have fake plants in my tank. Silk ones, as Choclate said, they're softer and less likely to tear fins as there's normally no rough edges for delicate fins to contend with. I still check mine over for any abnormalities and have taken scissors and nail files to the odd rough spot.

Petsmart and Petco each have a selection of plants. My petco has the better silk plant offerings and has a decent price (though petsmart definitely has the better prices); one 3 pack of midground plants was 6.99.

I do have a small number of plastic plants in my tank as well--they're made by zoomed and are a new line. They're called Betta Plants, obviously, and are very soft for plastic. If they hadn't packaged them in a way that I could feel it, I would never have purchased them but they were. I got them for 2.99 a piece and I use them under my filter to break up the outflow. However, I'd recommend you feel them before buying them since your little guy has super delicate fins.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #4 
Luimeril

not every betta can handle plastic. even some of my own males rip their fins to shreds. but, if you want easy plants, go with silk. walmarts have packs of 3 for a few bucks, or PetCos sell really pretty ones. just be careful with the walmart 3 pack. one set has a really pretty, short plant with green and red leaves. mine leeched dyes into the water, and i think that's what caused The Doctor to get sick. ;3;

as they said, live is best, but not everyone can handle them.

i usually do silk for my males, and plastic for my females and HMPK male.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #5 
Sivan

I am not sure if anyone actually read my post beyond the title.

I know which plants to buy but I am asking for suggestions as to where I can purchase them. My PetSmart does not carry silk plants and the only soft fabric plant they do carry is extremely tall and will not fit into my 5 gallon. I only want to purchase from a store where I can feel the fake plant so I can make sure it is good for my boy.

As for live plants, they are not possible.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #6 
Jupiter

Silk plants, aside from Petsmart (odd your doesn't carry any) can be found in Walmart (pet section).

Or if you don't have a Walmart or some such, dollar stores and craft stores usually sell fabric plants (and they're cheaper than what you can find in pet stores!). They are usually fine to use as long as you follow some rather obvious guidelines: nothing scented, with sparkles, etc.

I usually get standard green plants from Michael's and I've had no issue with them, although I do have to remove the plants from the stem as the stem usually has wire, so watch out for that.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #7 
misty1477

Sparkle loves the green silk fern-looking silk plant I got at PetCo. They are his favorite snoozing spot They also have them in other colors and there is an awesome purple one that is wider....I am going to get one or two of the purple ones. The green ones (see my album pics) are actually 2 of the thinner ones.

I had to trim the tops a little bit so they fit in my 5.5 gallon with the hood on. I just made sure I trimmed the 'stem' pieces down so they didn't stick up at all. So far ... works fine.

You can also get them online at amazon or petco.

BTW ... don't look at the betta's at petco.....you will most likely leave with a rescue or without one and feeling very very angry and sad. Hopefully your petco has better employees than one of the 2 near me. I have had verbal issues with the manager of one of the stores....but that's on another thread.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #8 
misty1477

Quote:
I usually get standard green plants from Michael's and I've had no issue with them, although I do have to remove the plants from the stem as the stem usually has wire, so watch out for that.
Jupiter ... I tried some plants from Michael's and the color eventually came off and turned Sparkle's yellow flower-ball a little green on top. How do you keep the color from leaching into the tank water?
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #9 
whiskandbowl

I was really impressed with the quality of the Marina Naturals silk plants. Super soft. I don't know if Petco sells them, sorry, I bought mine at a local pet store

whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #10 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1477 View Post
Jupiter ... I tried some plants from Michael's and the color eventually came off and turned Sparkle's yellow flower-ball a little green on top. How do you keep the color from leaching into the tank water?
I've bought a fern plant (cut the leaves from the stem and bunched them goether) and some grass (ditto) and I haven't had any problems with leaching colours. I did put them in hot water for the first day to make sure nothing weird would happen before i added it to my tank, but that's about it...
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote