Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #1 
zaylia

Question Cleaning my Betta's habitat, how?

I am wondering the best way to do it. I temporarily have him in a 1 gallon bowl. And my undertsnading of what I was told is to clean that once a day. I also read the more you transfer them, the more likely they will get stressed, and maybe get sick and/or die.

Should I clean it once a day or what?

Should I put him in a cup while I do it? Or an ice cream bucket?

Should I use a net I bought to remove him? Or pour him with the water?

Thanks for your time!
zaylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #2 
LadyVictorian

Do two 50% water changes and 1 100% so you should only be taking him out of his tank once a week. When you do that move him into something small like the cup you got him in when you got him from the petstore. If you tossed it out get a small glass to have him in and add stress coat to the water on the day you do the 100% water change.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #3 
DragonFish

...I'm not sure who told you that, but you don't need to clean out a 1 gallon daily so long as your fish is healthy. The only time you need to preform daily water changes is if your betta is sick and you are treated them for whatever illness they have. ;)

As for regular maintenance for a healthy fish in a 1 gallon you can get away with three water changes per week; 2 50%ishs and 1 100%.

With the partial changes, you just leave him in the tank and take out about half, or a little more....doesn't have to be exactly half, of his water and replace with like-temp dechlorinated tap water.

With a 100%, you scoop your fish out in the cup he came in or another similarly sized container if you no longer have the cup, empty out ALL of the water, give everything a quick rinse in warmish tap water, making sure you get all the poo and whatnot that might be trapped in the marbles/gravel out, then re-setup and refill with dechlorinated tap water as close to the previous temp as possible. You'll then need to acclimate your fish to the fresh water by floating his container in the bowl for about 30 minutes, pouring out some of his old water and replacing it with fresh water, wait 15 minutes, repeat, wait another 15 minutes, and then gently pour him back in.

It'll also help, if you don't have a gravel Vacuum to use during your partial changes, to go on every other day or so with a turkey baster and suck out what poo you can get at.

Good luck!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #4 
zaylia

Thank you!! I brought him home in a bag, this pet store didn't have the cups. I will try to find something, maybe a tupperware.

Tomorrow I will get the turkey baster, thermometer, and betta pellets. Possibly a plant reccomnended if they have it still. Hopefully I can afford thist stuff tomorrow, I think I will.

Is the stress coat the same as the conditioner?
Old 09-23-2012, 11:54 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

I think some stress coats come with water conditioners as well. I know the API I have does but I also still put in conditioner and I only use stress coat if I remove the fish from his tank or something causes extream stress in him.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #6 
zaylia

Sounds good! Ill check the stuff out at the store.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #7 
DragonFish

Tupperware will work just fine. Any small little food-safe plastic/glass container will be just fine. ;)

A lot of water conditioners will say 'Promotes healthy slime coat' or something of that nature, which is the point, or is at least a big part, of what Stress Coat does I believe......even Prime Conditioner says on the bottle "Provides Slime Coat", so I've always assumed that some form of Stress Coat is usually in a lot of conditioners. Personally I've never used Stress Coat and my fish have always done just fine....but its up to you if you want to get extra Stress Coat and add it in along with your conditioner regularly or not.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #8 
zaylia

Thanks for your thoughts man!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #9 
zaylia

He started to make a bubble nest or something, I feel bad for cleaning it soon now lol
Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #10 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Thats so cool he made a bubble nest, I love when mine does and watching him blow bubbles is the neatest thing ever ! I also know how you feel when its time for a water change but dont worry he will make another one . Is that him in your profile picture, if it he is very pretty !!!!
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote