Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #1 
celtickitty

Sad betta

have a male and a female, I put them in the same take at first and he started to make the hole bubble nest and nip her. So after he nip up her fins I took her out . but sadly had to put her back in cause they both stop eating, being away from each other.
So she is back with him and he is doing his bubbles but this time around instead of nipping her he chaises her once in a while. and they both seem happy again.
I wanna know if anyone had that issue for them selves or is it that I just have special fishes.
celtickitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You can only add a male and female for breeding even then it s not rare for either to get hurt.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Bettas will never get lonely. Most thrive on being solitary. Some enjoy being in community tanks, though. I'd reccomend keeping them apart, as one will eventually get beaten up.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #4 
lvandert

Please separate your fish unless you are breeding. They don't eat when you take them apart because they are in shock of not having to worry about the other fish in the tank. If you would give them a few days to calm down they will go back to eating normally unless their sick. Males will be under the constant stress of wanting to breed which can lower their immune system and the female will start developing eggs. She'll either release them, re-absorb them, or in rare cases become egg bound and explode.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

That is great advice. A sorioty of females needs at least a ten gallon and three too five females minimum.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtickitty View Post
have a male and a female, I put them in the same take at first and he started to make the hole bubble nest and nip her. So after he nip up her fins I took her out . but sadly had to put her back in cause they both stop eating, being away from each other.
So she is back with him and he is doing his bubbles but this time around instead of nipping her he chaises her once in a while. and they both seem happy again.
I wanna know if anyone had that issue for them selves or is it that I just have special fishes.
Your fish are not special and unique. You are just using bad logic. Never really gave us temp or tank size.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #7 
Lizzie the Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
That is great advice. A sorioty of females needs at least a ten gallon and three too five females minimum.
For sororities, you need at least four. If you only have three, two will pick on the weaker one and will eventually kill it. That then results in two fish fighting to the death. There is no limit to how many females you get (Except, of course, tank size!). I have seven females living sucessfully together.

I agree with everyone else, seperate them. They'll be much happier and healthier if you do so.
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have heard of three working but the more the less risky.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #9 
Lizzie the Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I have heard of three working but the more the less risky.
That makes sense, we all know each bettas have their own personality. I don't doubt that some would do okay in a group of three.

When I started out with only three, the two biggest picked on the smallest constantly. That's when I got another one, and eventually later along the line got three more. xD
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yeah it makes sense. But four to five is way better.

Tags
betta, couple, female, male