Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #1 
greatfiasco

Question Halloween Costume!

So, this Halloween I want to be, surprise surprise, a betta! :D But I'm having trouble coming up with the design of the costume. I was hoping someone would have some ideas or suggestions?
greatfiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I think plakat is good because of shorter fins easier to replicate.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #3 
greatfiasco

Hmm, yea I had very ambitious dreams to make either a halfmoon or veil tail design but I'm not sure if I could pull it off. Going for a shorter finned type would be much easier.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Can not wait to see it.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #5 
homegrown terror

if your hair is fairly long, i can give you instructions on how to style it into a halfmoon tail shape (up until May i had an 18 inch tall mohawk, so i know a thing or two about making extreme hairstyles)
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #6 
greatfiasco

:D That would be lovely! My hair comes to about my shoulder blades. Would that be long enough?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #7 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatfiasco View Post
:D That would be lovely! My hair comes to about my shoulder blades. Would that be long enough?
definitely! first off, dye it whatever color you're gonna want for your costume 12-18 hours BEFORE you do this, it'll make it a lot less messy:

first, if there's even a hint of curls or waves in your hair, flat-iron the crap out of it.

second, find a pillow and an old t-shirt. you're going to ruin it, so don't use anything you'll ever want to wear again. put the t-shirt on a pillow like a pillowcase.

third, get a friend, a hairbrush, a very strong hairspray (got2b glued freeze spray is the best one i've found), and a blowdryer. lay your head down on the pillow sideways and have your friend brush your hair into a fan shape radiating from your ear. once it's ready, your friend will spray the hairspray into 2-3 inch wide sections of your hair, then blowdry it for about 45 seconds to a minute. keep going until that entire side of your head is fanned.

fourth, sit up VERY carefully and turn over to the other side. repeat the process on this side.

fifth, stand up and check it out in the mirror. it will probably be leaning to one side or the other, don't worry, this is easily fixable. take the spray and dryer, grab your hair by the tips and pull it so it's standing straight up, and spray the base of the fan on the side it was leaning to and then blowdry it to set the spray. you should now have a perfectly formed betta tail on your head. it'll look a little something like this:

once it's finished, you can use a can of spray dye to add in speckles, ray stripes, butterflying or any other color pattern you want to add to your betta costume.

NOTE: unless you're wearing a buttondown shirt, you MUST be wearing the shirt of your costume before you start, as trying to put a shirt on over your head once it's done will ruin it. you might wanna practice a few times before halloween to make sure you and your friend get your technique down just right.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote