Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #1 
MissLyss1024

Play sand as a substrate?

Hi guys! I'm starting a new tank and would like to try sand as a substrate. I like the look and it seems like it would be easier to clean with a siphon than the gravel. I came across a 50lb bag at Lowes for $5! Can't beat that price! It's Quikrete play sand, has anyone used it with sucess? Would it be safe for the bettas and my live plants? I understand it needs to be cleaned very well and you have to poke it to get rid of gas bubbles every now and then. Thanks for any imput!
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:20 AM   #2 
Cinderwolf

I use Quickrete sand as a substrate. LOVE IT. Looks fantastic and the plants are growing nice roots. just rinse it a bunch tilt he water runs clear even when you swish the sand around a lot.
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #3 
babystarz

Yes I know of a lot of people who use play sand. I actually prefer Quickrete's Fine Grain because it's 100% silica, whereas the play sand can have other stuff in it that may or may not become a problem over time. It's harder to know exactly what you're putting in the tank I guess.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #4 
toad

I've never used play sand, but I use pool filter sand in several tanks and love it. It's a little larger grain than play sand and it doesn't cloud the water when you move things which is nice :)
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #5 
MissLyss1024

Thanks for the imput :) I was leaning more towards pool filter sand but unfortunatley this time of year I was unable to find any without spending a fortune on shipping cost. I decided to go with the Quikrete Fine Grade and am anxious to try it out!
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #6 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLyss1024 View Post
Thanks for the imput :) I was leaning more towards pool filter sand but unfortunatley this time of year I was unable to find any without spending a fortune on shipping cost. I decided to go with the Quikrete Fine Grade and am anxious to try it out!
Great! Best way to add water to the tank is to put a little plate down right on the sand, and pour the new water directly onto it. You can do this for normal water changes too. If you accidentally disturb the sand, it settles back down really quickly because the particles are so light.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #7 
PitGurl

I have play sand in my smaragdina tank. I wanted the quikrete sand but lowes didn't have any. It seems fine, took about a day to settle. The fish really like it, especially my female.

Just be to poke it when doing water changes to release the gases that build up. Or you can get trumpet snails that bury.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote