Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #1 
rich e rich

Female betta with NO FINS!!

Hey everybody,

I stopped by the pet store to pick up two bettas when I saw a female with NO Fins! Not even the fins at the side.

I uploaded a picture, not sure how it will be seen.

So the story is they got the fish yesterday in a batch of bettas, and this one was bad. I told them I'll take care of it.

They told me it ate this morning, but I put food for it, and it didn't eat. There's nothing in the water, I just changed it.

I'm going to put methalene blue in. Please advise on how to use salt

Can I have advice please?

This can be our project
Attached Images

rich e rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #2 
tpocicat

If she lost her fins due to fin rot, warm clean water is the best thing you can do for her. A little AQ salt may help too.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #3 
rich e rich

How exactly to use the salt: dosage, how long to leave the salt in etc
Old 09-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #4 
tpocicat

I usually start with 1 tsp per gallon, gradually increase over several days to 3 tsp. I try not to use salt for very long, say a week or two because any longer could hurt her.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #5 
Luimeril

if you can get some, Indian Almond Leaves, or even naturally dried oak leaves will help, as well. poor gal. :I wonder how in the world she got shipped like that. best of luck with her. :U
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #6 
rich e rich

How long to leave in the salt?

Also, she is not eating

If she doesn't eat, then death will be inevitable. How can I get her to eat?
Old 09-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #7 
Luimeril

they can last a long while without eating. but, food high in protein will help out a lot. can you get frozen bloodworms? if not, try getting fresh garlic, chopping it up, smashing it, and soaking pellets in the juice. the smell often gets bettas who won't eat, to eat.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #8 
DragonFish

I'd say no longer then 10 days with the salt treatment. Afterwards, be sure to acclimate her back into the fresh water slowly so she doesn't go into shock.

Have you posted anything on the Diseases and Emergencies section yet? Posting a thread there with the information on this sticky: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233 will really help anyone who wants to assist you in healing this poor little girl a lot.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #9 
lelei

The best way is to do the AQ salt, 1 tsp per gal, very well dissolved with some Stress Coat, that is what I used for my rescue, with hardly any fins either, but you have to do daily water changes, for the first 72 hrs, and repeat, stress coat, and salt as you go, and keep trying to get her to eat, it may take some time, but she will eventually come around, try different kinds of food, I used the Hakari Gold, and the Omega One, for my lil girl, and with in a week, I saw a lot of fin growth, you can do salt treatment for about 10 days, I took my girl off of salt after 10-12 days, and then just evey other day water changes until I got her in a bigger tank, Good luck with her, Keep us posted:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #10 
rich e rich

Thanks for all the information!

How much would you say is 1 gallon of water? I've been getting alot of mixed details