Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #1 
scurrie11

Rescue looks awful! Someone help!

Since I got Rico, he has been a happy, active, awesome fish. He was showing more colors, eating really well, I kept his water super clean and made sure every day that he was ok. Last night, I went to bed, without checking on him, because I didn't see him in his normal spot. This morning, I woke up to a very pale Rico, laying on his side on the bottom of the tank. I tested my water, found levels that were fine, and then did a water change anyway, and he's even worse now.

What could possibly be wrong?
scurrie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #2 
scurrie11

Here is this, in case anyone was wondering:
Housing
What size is your tank? 3.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? Anywhere between 81-84 daily.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes, Hydor 15watt slim heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No one.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? frozen blood worms, new life spectrum pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Normally twice a day, small meals, but sometimes if I am super busy, just once in the morning.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Because it doesn't have a filter, I try to do a 30-50% once every 3-4 days.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Because he's new and his fins are a wreck, he looks kinda sickly and clamped from when I got him, I've been putting in API Stress Coat water conditioner and a little aquarium salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: When I tested it, the color BARELY showed up in my drop kit, it was like, maybe, .05, so I did a water change, 30% and tested again and it didn't show up.
Nitrite: None
Nitrate: It was about 10ppm before the water change, didn't test that one again, but I'm gonna says its probably now between 5-7ppm
pH: 7.4
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Faded color, no long comes to the top, panting on the bottom, laying on side
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? See above.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I did a water change
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I got his as an ill rescue
How old is your fish (approximately)? I really don't know, I got him about a week and half ago.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #3 
lelei

Temp is a little high, 78-80 degrees is sufficient, and if you are using salt, do you know how much, because, if you are only changing 30-50% of your water every 3-4 days, he maybe absorbing to much salt, when using salt, the water needs to be changed 100% daily..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #4 
scurrie11

100% daily??? I don't do that with my 5 or 20....I haven't been using much. I know the directions say either a table spoon or teaspoon per 10 gallons, I use a pinch, maybe like, 10 of the little salt pieces? Not much, probably isn't even beneficial. I only add that pinch in when I do a water change. But I'm not going to anymore. Is that really what it could be?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #5 
scurrie11

Also, I can't really do anything about the temp being 81 ish. I'm reading it right now, its at exactly 81. I have a heater that heats it to about 80 and then stops, but sometimes it gets a little over zealous and heats it to 84. But not for long. A few days ago, my furnace broke and my house was completely overheated. I wasn't home to turn off the heater, so his tank got up to 90. I turned the furnace off that night, and kept everyones heaters going because it got pretty cold, but then it dropped to 85 overnight then 81 the next day and has stayed pretty stagnant, not much fluctuation at all. Could that be it? I know temperature is very crucial, and they are very sensitive to it, but it really wasn't anything I could control. My other two tanks got up to that too, but none of the others are being affected.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #6 
Sowman

I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to put salt in the water for betta's for more then 10 days and only when treating. Other fish tend to like a little salt in the water. I would move him to a QT (if possible) with clean water, no salt.
Sowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #7 
scurrie11

I haven't been putting salt in there for 10 days, I've only had him for a week. I am treating him, he's a wreck from living in his cup at the store. I'll do another water change tomorrow, no salt and keep doing it for the next few days until the salt content is REALLLLLLLLYYY tiny. It shouldn't be that high with the amount of water I've changed and the small amount of salt I've added. But thats what I'll do, and hope he gets better.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I hope he feels better soon , I cant think of any advice to give you and sounds like you are doing what you can. Just keep and eye on the temp and try not to let it get over 82 if you can.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #9 
scurrie11

Every time I think of it I take a reading. Its been a constant 81 today, but he does NOT look much better. He gets a little excited and comes to the top and starts begging and swimming around, then he goes and lies down on the bottom :[
Old 09-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #10 
scurrie11

Alright, he's even worse. His temperature is still a constant 81. I've been keeping up with changing 20ish% of his water each day since I posted this to try to get the salt level down, and now he has AWFUL clamped fins, he's very pale, and he won't eat or get off the bottom. Someone please help, he went from really healthy and good to half dead in the matter of hours...