Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #1 
Kittykat7

Problem with sand...

Hey fish friends,
I just got a bag of black sand from petco. I rinsed it very well and added it to a new 5 gal tank. The water is not cloud, but it does have a slight black tint to it. Will it eventually settle and become clear? I used the same kind of sand but blue for a 2.5 gal tank and I had no issues with cloudiness or color. I was actually able to add Squirtle just a couple of hours after. I was really hoping to add Cubie to his newly sanded tank tonight, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Any suggestions?
Kittykat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #2 
sarahspins

I don't like the Petco sand at all.. I have it in one of my tanks and it's not actually sand, but very fine tinted gravel.

It took me hours (all afternoon of rinsing several times, and letting it sit a while, agitating, and repeating) to rinse 5lbs of it and get it clear.. I was using a pitcher to do the rinsing so it was easy to see that it was not "done" plus tons of it floated in the process, it was just a mess.

Personally, if you're not above bagging it up and returning it, I would recommend that. I wish I had returned mine, because I did another tank days later with Caribsea's Tahitian Moon sand and it was MUCH easier to rinse (it was basically clear immediately, all rinsing did was flush out the super fine stuff), and I like the look of it a lot better - it's more sand-like even though it's also not technically sand (all of the other caribsea sands are sand, except the black stuff). It also doesn't hold on to air bubbles or float the way that the petco stuff does.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #3 
Kittykat7

Thanks. Honestly, I am about to just bag it up and return it. I had no problems at all with the blue sand but this black sand it crazy. I spent a lot of time rinsing it and it is still bleeding black. I was considering the Caribsea sand from my LPS but they didn't have the Tahitian Moon sand. It was a different kind, but it was rinsed already and says you can just add the water straight away. At this point I think I may just say forget the sand and go back to gravel. I just really like the way the sand looks. I want to add sand to my 10 gal as well, but I don't think that is going to happen. I have spent a lot of time and money on the sand and what not. Ugh.... IDK.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #4 
Kittykat7

I am such a dork... just looked it up and I guess the stuff that they have is the Tahitian Moon Sand. I think I may just have to there tomorrow and look at it again.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #5 
sarahspins

Petsmart carries the Tahitian Moon in 5lb bags. You may be looking at the instant aquarium sand at your LPS which is fine, but it tends to cost more than the dry stuff.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #6 
Kittykat7

I was thinking of going to petsmart tomorrow. I think it is the instant aquarium stuff I am thinking of. The only reason I didn't buy it was because of the price. I think they wanted like 15 bucks for a 5 lb bag.I bought the 20 lb bag at petco for 18, hoping to do my 5 gal and my 10 gal. I just removed the sand for now. I will check out petsmart when I can. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #7 
DragonFish

You know, I decided to go with the Petco sand in my 10 gallon when I first set it up.....and I liked it so much I switched all my tanks over to it(various colors, quite a bit of black though). I never had any problems with any of it clouding or tinting the water, and it rinsed pretty easily for me. I think between all my tanks I've probably used nearly 10 5lb bags of the stuff. xD I've had great success with it, and I like it BECAUSE its not quite as 'light' as actual sand to be honest.

I'm not sure if this makes any difference, but I rinsed all the sand in small parts because I didn't have a large enough container to rinse it all at once.....took a few extra trips, but it worked well for me.

It stinks that you guys have had trouble with it, I've been really into this stuff. 8/ Maybe I just got lucky...?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote