Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #1 
phoenix91

Did i do the right thing?

So i was in the petstore picking up a few things and of course i took a stroll past the betta shelves. Well, i saw this lovely halfmoon cellophane male, tail ripped to shreds, lying listlessly against the side of his cup I moved his cup to the front of the shelf (it was pushed behind another one and i actually thought he was dead at first) and watched him for a while. He had one of those cute black mustache lines and eventually perked up a bit and came to say hi.

I did a quick evaluation of the situation, injured fish, me with a spare 3 g in the house... all i'd need would be heater. The fish was clearly not in the best shape so i bet i could have got discount at the register. But... i didn't get him.

The 3 g i have needs to be cleaned thoroughly, the last thing int here were some saltwater corals i was holding for a guy to come and buy. I'm also going on vacation in three weeks for 9 days and while my dad is babysitting my other tanks i doubt a 3 g with a potentially sick fish in could go 9 days without a wc. My dad is great but i don't think he's up to wcs.

So... did i do the right thing leaving him there? I walked around he store maybe 4 times and came back to check on him, at one point an attendant asked if everything was alright. When i left he was at least at the top of his cup so maybe someone will see how lovely he is and take him.

I can't help but feel guilty.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I think you wil do a better job. You could leave your dad a guide. I think if you like the betta you should get it. If someone else buys it or it is left there it says are numbered. I think you should go for it.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #3 
phoenix91

So okay, i still need to get my tank clean. How would i do that and know the salty residues had been removed?

My dad won't have the patience to do a wc, would a 3 g be okay if the fish was only fed every other day or every 3 days?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Sounds good to me. They can go a week without food. A salt measuring unit sold at pet stores will help just test the water if it is too high do another water change.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #5 
phoenix91

Well i have the food and wc sorted out.. now how to clean the tank so it doesn't kill him?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have heard vinigar is good. Then do a lot of washing out. Filling a tank with hot water and repeat but do the boiling after vinigar. But wait a bit and observe the tank for leaks.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #7 
phoenix91

Okay i'll try that. I'll wsh out the tank tomorrow, and observe. If everything is fine i'll fill it and put some sand in and such and leave it overnight. If mr.fishie is still in the store by saturday morning he's coming home with me.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Good but I am nota 100 percent sure with vinigar have heard it from other members. But hot water is really good cleaning.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #9 
phoenix91

well i have a kettle so i'll boil the water, i don't have vinegar in teh house so i'd have to get some tomorrow anyway.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Boiling water or just really hot water so no need to go through kettle trouble.